Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lost Iambic A-B capability

W4TMW
W4TMW Member ✭✭
A few days ago, my F6300 (v1.3.8.47) lost it's ability to operate in iambic mode i.e,. when I squeeze the paddles of my iambic key (Brown Bros.) together it will not send alternating dots and dashes.
  I noticed this after I removed my straight key from the front panel of the radio and inserted my BB key back in which I do quite often. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom

Comments

• Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited May 2019
    An added note of clarification...if I start producing dots, then introduce dits it will keep sending dots...and vice versa.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi Tom,  What you are describing usually indicates a difference in jack wiring on your paddles and your straight key... yet you say you have used both keys in the same jack without changing any settings in the  Radio Setup CW tab?

I think you mean dots and dashes in your last comment above and it appears dashes are not working with the 6300.  This 'symptom' is also usually an indication that the keyer settings are incorrect or the paddles or paddle jack is wired wrong for the cw jack.    I don't have my 6300 rig  available in front of me or I could test between straight key and paddles here for you.

I'm sure someone can chime in that has the rig or manual in front of them.

Regards,

Larry  k1uo

• Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited May 2019
    Larry, 

Yes, all I usually do in order to configure from st. key to paddle is unplug one and plug-in the other and tap the "iambic" button 'on' (for paddle operation).

As for 'dots' and dashes', I probably should have worded it...... will not send an alternating dot and dash string.

Thanks for your reply,
    Tom

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

No problem Tom,  Have you done a reset of the radio or swapped between keying modes (Iambic A or B) to see if that helps?  OR possibly the plugging/unplugging of your BB paddle cable has broken a lead inside the connector shell .

• Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited May 2019
    Larry,

Yes. I've been trying all sorts of different settings, also searching in the 'Community' DB, but have  not done a reset yet. I thought I'd ask here and do the reset as a last resort:)

Now the broken cable connector wires is not something I've thought about since the key will send dots and dashes with it's respective paddles, I'll have a look at that tonight anyway.

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Tim,

I run a bug also.  Dusted off the iambic key paddle and tried to recreate the problem but can not.

Plugging bug in and turning off iambic setting - bug works properly.  

With keyer paddle plugged in and iambic set, it will send alternating dots / dashes.

We know that for the bug, one uses a 3-C plug with the tip wired and the ring left floating.

Definitely an odd problem and I am curious the fix.

Good Luck!

Tim
  • Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited May 2019
    To Larry, Tim and other interested parties,

This is a followup to your suggestions. 

1) I have checked the 'paddle' cable wiring with DVM, also the wiring is per manual.
    2) I did a reset of the radio, checked for a/b iambic function with factory default settings. 
    3) I then did a reset and reinstalled my all my config. files.

Nothing has produced success. So I guess it's time to contact Flex.
    I had one last thought.....considering the dry weather we were experiencing when this problem occurred, is it possible the circuit may have been damaged from a static discharge when changing the plugins from key to paddle?

Anyway, my next action will be to contact Flex.
    Thanks for your help.
    73, Tom W4TMW

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Tom.

I doubt ESD has caused this.  The input ports should have ESD protection.  Even if they do not the keyer port uses the 1/4" phono plug so as the plug is inserted it should as a ground connection and bleed off any static charge harmlessly to ground.

Whereas the dit and dah sides are both working that also indicated ESD is not root cause.  This sounds like the firmware that handles the paddle is not what was loaded at the factory, meaning somehow the code changed a bit.  Wild guess however.

Good Luck,

Best Regards,

TimP

PS:  Please accept my apologies for mis-typing your name in earlier post.

• Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited May 2019
    To all following this thread.......

I contacted FRS but before I read Dudley's prompt reply the problem corrected itself somehow.

Here's my reply to Dudley;

" Well, I the problem has corrected itself and I don't know why.

I just finished setting up my 70cm transverter (Elecraft) to the Flex....now running 2M and 70cm. Yesterday I set up the band settings and the cw iambic problem was still there. However, this morning I completed the transverter setup by adjusting the Flex drive levels to the xvtr, and installed the keyline. Then I added some 'Profiles', and did a Profiles export/backup, what a life saver they are !

Before shutting down for lunch I thought, just for the heck-of-it, I'd check the paddle and low an behold it was working !! Now it seems to me that when the iambic A/B stopped in the first place, I was fooling around with my profiles settings but can't be certain. 

Sorry, but that's about all I can add but I'll save all your instructions in case it happens again. 

Tom "

I might also add that during the above procedures, I was using a Vibroplex to key the Flex (iambic off) to set the drive levels for the XVTR and did a lot of keying. It was only after all of this that I plugged-in the Paddle to check for iambic operation.

73, Tom W4TMW

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Tom - I am glad to hear that your problem has worked itself out.  If it happens again, export all of your profiles and open a HelpDesk ticket.  Tell whomever is assigned to your support case that the issue is a repeat problem and attach the profile export to the ticket detail.  We'll have engineering look at the profile to see if something in it might be causing the issue.
  • Tom Warren
    Tom Warren Member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks Tim......will do.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.