Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 dual vfo

Keith Morrison
Keith Morrison Member ✭✭

When working split operation, can I have the DX station in one ear and the rest of the crowd calling in the other ear of my heil headset?? Also when using this system if I TX can I still hear the calling crowd??

Thanks in advance

Keith

Answers

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Keith,
    Yes on the first question.  For example you can set Slice A to listen to the DX station and direct the audio to the LEFT.  And set Slice B to the pile and direct the audio to the RIGHT ear.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• George O'Brien
    edited June 2020
    Hi, Keith. Yes you can do what you're asking. I assume you are using headphones. What I do is create one slice receiver for the DX station and another one for the transmit frequency. Using the L/R slider for the DX slice I slide it to the left. Then, selecting the transmit slice, I slide its L/R to the right. Play around with how much to avoid a "hole in the middle" effect that is still pleasing to the ears. Oh, one final thing you might like to do is select a wider receive filter for the transmit slice. It can help you hear the answering station and get on his frequency faster. With its superb panafall, the Flex 6000 series is the fastest xceiver for "busting" a pileup that I have ever used.
  • Keith Morrison
    Keith Morrison Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

Thanks Al the 1st question is the big one for me as I like to follow the DX station up or down the band so I can be ahead of him ready to call.

cheers Keith

• Keith Morrison
    Keith Morrison Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

Excellent news George thanks for clearing that up for me.

Keith

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Keith,
    If you are working CW then you should also try setting up CW Skimmer.   Skimmer is a really nice tool to see who the DX is working.   Like George said, the 6000 is a great rig for working the pileups.

Enjoy!

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Your "can I listen while I'm transmitting" question has a little more complex answer.  If you are running QSK CW ("instant break-in," is what some call it) then you can hear what is going on except when you are transmitting character elements - so, listening between Morse elements, letters, or words, dpeending on how fast you set up RX delay.  If you are transmitting SSB or digital, then while you are transmitting you will not be able to hear the band.
  • Keith Morrison
    Keith Morrison Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Just to let you all know I now have the Flex 6300 in the shack and WOW what a fantastic bit of equipment it really is. The receive is just brilliant and that is straight out of the box.

Guess it's going to be a late night tonight reading up on the manual

cheers Keith

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If you are married, be sure to check in with your spouse at least once a day in order to avoid marital strife!  

If you are single, be sure to set an alarm to remind you to go to work, or they will be repossessing your 6300 after about a month.  It is that addicting.

Remember:  Even with a FLEX, this is just a hobby!  But there are times I have thought about retiring and moving to Austin.  (Does FRS hire door greeters like Walmart?)   (:b)
    Have fun.  It is a great trip!

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have found that it works best for me to leave the DX station centered, or just slightly to one side and put the "pile" all the way to one side.  Then I can use both of my ears to help dig out a weak DX station while keeping an eye (or ear) on the "mob" which has the volume reduced so that it doesn't overwhelm the DX.  

The great thing is that you can adjust it any way you need it depending upon band conditions.

Many times, on CW & RTTY, I don't even use a separate slice, only the XIT function, and I can visualize the other stations and 1) sit right on tip of the last caller, 2) anticipate where the DX will listen the next time, or 3) simply find a "hole" between stations in the pileup.  All three options have been productive depending upon the pattern used by the DX station.

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.