Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
SmartSDR v3.1.12 and the SmartSDR v3.1.12 Release Notes. | SmartSDR v2.6.2 and the SmartSDR v2.6.2 Release Notes.
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes. | Power Genius XL Firmware v3.4.16. | Power Genius XL Utility v2.2.10.
In David’s QEX CESSB article, he mentions several times of the value of baseband audio processing applied before his algorithm:
“It is possible to overdrive the algorithm by driving the baseband “RF clipper” into a few dB of clipping beyond what is necessary to remove the Hilbert transform overshoots. This will provide a further increase in average power. I think it is better to do baseband audio processing, however, and let the CESSB system only remove overshoots. Historically, baseband audio processing was not considered particularly effective for increasing average SSB power — because of envelope overshoots. This is no longer true, with the introduction of CESSB. With baseband audio processing, sophisticated multiband compression and clipping is possible, with better results than a simple single-band RF clipper.”
“The processing used does not produce any significant audible artifacts. It may be used in conjunction with speech processing.”
“The system only affects transients that would produce overshoot. Audio compression to increase density, compression, peak limiting, and so on should be applied before the audio input to Figure 11.”
This raises the following questions for the 6000 series implementation:
1. What baseband audio processing is applied before the CESSB algorithm?
2. What does the NOR-DX-DX+ control do? Is it simply overdriving the algorithm as mentioned above?
Leave a Comment
- 65 Community Topics
- 1.9K New Ideas
- 117 The Flea Market
- 5.3K Software
- 4.9K SmartSDR for Windows
- 35 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 84 SmartSDR for Mac
- 143 SmartSDR for iOS
- 149 SmartSDR CAT
- 66 DAX
- 278 SmartSDR API
- 7K Radios and Accessories
- 5.8K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 553 Maestro
- 14 FlexControl
- 720 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 147 Power Genius Products
- 116 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 10 Power Genius Utility
- 21 Tuner Genius
- 41 Shack Infrastructure
- 22 Networking
- 88 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 50 Contesting
- 127 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 61 Amateur Radio Interests
- 402 Third-Party Software