Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 Line input level in sufficient with Timewave Navigator

Options
Mark Erbaugh
Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
I hooked up my Flex 6300 to a Timewave Navigator soundcard interface. I ran pin 1 of the Flex to pin 25 of the Navigator for Tx audio and pin 6 of the Flex to pin 13 of the Navigator for analog ground. With the Navigator at max output (20 dB pad is disabled), I can only get about -10dB of drive which isn't enough to get full output from the Flex. Question: are all the grounds on the 15 pin header common, or are some for audio signals and some for digital/control?

According to the Flex specs, that aux input is -10dBV. According to the Navigator spec, the output is 410 mV into 4.7 kOhms. I did a website conversion calculation and 410mV rms should be about -7dBV so I would thing I should be able to get more than full output (the Navigator has a **** for adjusting the output level so it can easily be backed off).

I can get full output from the Flex when using DAX.

I'm running SSDR 1.3.8.

Thanks, 73,
Mark

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I remember the one on the 1500 had separate mike + and - that were not linked to the "chassis" ground.  

But after looking at the hardware manual for the 6000 Series, it doesn't appear that there is a separate ground for the TX audio input at the "line level" ACCY connector.

Perhaps you need to turn on the +20 dB button in the Phone setup tab?

Ken - NM9P
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I tried the +20 dB button and it didn't seem to make a difference.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Doesn't,t the 6300 have DAX. It can work better than the navigator.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Based on some relatively unscientific tests, we got 7dB better decodes with DAX than with any of the Sound Card based Interfaces such as the Timewave.   DAX is digital throughout its entire path while the sound card based systems convert from Digital to Analog and back to Digital.   Each conversion step introduces distortion which accounts for the much better decodes using DAX which does not suffer from those distortion products.

So unless you are trying to use some special feature of the Timewave..
    Why would you not just use DAX?
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I mostly run psk. DAX. Superior. Sold my navigator
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Mark - we have been looking into this and it looks like the ACC input may be down in input gain.  This fix is something that may make it into the next release of SmartSDR.  Just depends on how testing goes.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Tim - thanks for letting me know.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Mark,

Have you used the RTTY filter on the Navigator? how does it compare to using DAX on weak signal RTTY decode? Overall have you compared decode on various modes to using DAX?

I submitted a feature request to Flex for a DSP RTTY peak filter for the standard mark and space tones. Not sure if/when it will make it into SmartSDR. The Kenwood TS-990 incorporates a RTTY peak filter and it really makes a difference with weak signal detection.

Thanks
    Dave, wo2x
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I found my original thread on low input levels with ACC port line in. Tim confirmed the problem in SSDR, with a possible fix in later versions. It looks like the problem is still present in at least SSDR 2.4.9, some 5 years later. Will it ever be fixed?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.