Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will SmsrtSDR version 1.4 require the PEN update?

Robert -- N5IKD
Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Will SmsrtSDR version 1.4 require the PEN update?

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    What is a PEN update?
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    I am referring to the Product Enhancement Notice for the 6700.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Thank you. Being of average intelligence, I am almost overwhelmed with all the current abbreviations and acronyms floating around and there seems to be an over abundance over lapping in the  various disciplines.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

From my understanding, the major update will be the addition of an audio Codec that will be strictly a firmware enhancement. This enhancement is the addition of optimized audio over the Ethernet for remote usage over a LAN.

Jim, K6QE

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jim,
    Also FM from the road map of May 2014.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    It would seem both of these would not require a PEN as it is all doable with firmware. However, it has been known that my mouth is much bigger than my brain.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jim,
    I think the question is whether these enhancements will put significant additional load on the FPGA.  The PEN is to make some changes to mitigate power/heat related issues to allow the FPGA to run more software in the future.  

Given that the PEN is being deployed over several more months and we haven't been told it would be needed for V1.4,  it seems like we should be okay.  But it wouldn't hurt to get confirmation from FRS.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Ahhhh, now I understand. Thank you. Not being involved with the PEN, I assumed that he was asking if additional changes to the hardware would be needed to accommodate the new updates. I feel **** as usual, but I am learning from my mistakes.

Jim

• Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    Jim, it is all part of having a conversation. No need to feel ****. I like that you are learning.
  • James Kirk
    James Kirk Member
    edited October 2014
    We all need a conscious uncoupling from these terms
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think I heard somewhere that there are more acronyms in the telcom (cell/phone) industry then any other industries. Either way, the tech industry as a whole has a lot of them.  Hard to keep track sometimes.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    No, it will not.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Any info on what future features might require it?  been a while since I read the pen info, but i think it was kinda vague on what might need it in the future?  just curious. :)
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Many people confuse acronyms or equate them to abbreviations. An acronym is an abbreviation that is pronounced as a word such as PEN, PIN, RADAR, However, HDMI, DVI, SMDR, etc., are abbreviations.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good to know, something i haven't thought about too much.  Thanks Jim!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    There is nothing specifically planned.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Actually things like HDMI are known as initialisms. That is you pronounce the letters individually as opposed to an abbreviation like etc. which is an abbreviation pronounced as the word the abbreviation stands for. Another example would be prof. for professor, There are subsets of this that can go either way. Lat. can be both an acronym or an abbreviation. Some pronounce lat. as "lat" other pronounce it a latitude. It never ends.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.