Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can anyone provide a FreeDV API HowTo?

EduardoCarvalho
EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR API
I have watched the videos on the API release and I am very interested in giving the Internal Waveform API freeDV example a try. I am not a software developer, but I know my way around a bit. Based on the presentation, it sounded simple and just a matter of loading the compiled file into the correct folder in the radio. However, I have not been able to figure out how to do it so.

I have looked on the wiki, forum and other locations without success. Can someone please provide some directions on how to access the file structure in the radio and load these programs made for the internal API?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answers

• Bill - K7UOP
    Bill - K7UOP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014

Eduardo, From what I have found there are no compiled files available at this time. And I don't have any idea if the developers of the FreeDV example plan to provide them. The only thing currently available is the source code. I guess they are providing this to other developers as an example implementation of the Waveform API.

I agree with you that it would be nice if they did provide the binaries (compiled files) that could be installed by users. I have the feeling though that Flex Radio developers will have to first create the underlying infrastructure and a radio Add-On Software Installation Program. I doubt they would want to open up access to the underlying Linux OS in the radio to users.

Plus, they would need a screening, testing, certifying process for 3rd party software intended for mass distribution and installation in the radios.

They may not get around to doing this for quite a while. Maybe not until SmartSDR is as mature and feature rich as PowerSDR has become.

It would be nice if the Flex Radio and/or the FreeDV example developers would comment on this.

• Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    FreeDV could now be included within SSDR. The Waveform API is then used for the development of new functions and when mature and stable the mode gets included. Alternatively the developers make them available to us users.
  • Tony Taddeo
    Tony Taddeo Member
    edited March 2020

Complied the windows files using Visual Studio C compiler.  I now have a windows exe and several dll's. My specific questions are;

1) In what SmartSDR directory do I copy these files too ?

2) I note I should use a GCC compiler (arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc) to build the binaries for the Flex6000 radio.  Is there an easily available bootable or virtual environment I can use to do this ?  What environment do the Flexradio developers use do develop and build  the radio specific code ? 

3) When I build the binaries for the Flex 6000 radio hardware, how do I load them onto the radio ?

The Flexradio team normally give great support.  Why are you ignoring questions on how to actually build and install the FreeDV codec for developers or have I missed a how to document?  Why don't you just build the binaries and make them available to users that want to install them?

Tony

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.