Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartCAT V 1,3,0.0 COM PORT & HRD anomaly question

NN3V
NN3V Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Setting up SmartSDR V 1.3.0.0. with HRD V 6.2.76.297. OS Windos 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Once set up, HRD Rig Control and HRD Logbook work well with FLEX 6300. Using COM 6 shown by SmartCAT as defined, and known to not conflict with any other COM PORT on my system. Up to this point, radio and HRD work OK. Just abominably slowly. Am aware of recommendations to create PTT COM Port. Plan to do so.

HOWEVER, UNABLE to launch DM-780. The moment DM-780 is launched, entire system freezes and lock up. UNABLE to work around it. Only solution so far is to CTRL + ALT + DELETE. Task managr shows DM-780NOT RESPONDING. Terminate DM-780, and system returns to abominable speed but satisfactory operation.

Trying to launch DM-780 again results in same problem.

Resolution ideas?

Answers

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't know what your using for a computer. Download mini deluxe and use it instead of HRD. Mini deluxe uses less resources than HRD but functions the same for DM-780and the logbook.
  • Richard Sinclair
    edited October 2014
    I had the same problem.  There is a bug in HRD in its dealing with SmartSDR, according to Tim at HDR.  He demoted in to my computer and had an "aha!" moment.  Launch Rig Control, then DM780, and then Logbook.  Go back to rig control in Logbook and disconnect Logbook from SmartSDR.  It will get data from DM780 and everything works.  I don't know if this will address the speed problem, since I do not have that issue. I posted this in the HRD/DM780 Community also.
  • Richard Sinclair
    edited October 2014
    Ooops!  He "remoted" into my computer!  He should be promoted.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm not sure if the problem is with SmartSDR or HRD, but since the release of SSDR 1.3 and HRD 6.2.76.299, I've been unable to get DM780 to transmit using COM5 as it did before.  I use DDutil HRD Server rather than the bloated HRD radio program.  I discovered last night that if I selected "use HRD control" rather than a COM port it works OK. HRD Logbook was unaffected by either of the changes.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014

I had the same issue when using the full HRD program on V1.3. I had used Mini-Deluxe with the Flex 5000 (PSDR) but it did not work well with SmartSDR. Switched to DDUtil 3.0 and their HRD Server and all is well using the HRD Control setting.

Just FYI - if you have Mini-Deluxe installed from previous use it probably starts up when you reboot your computer (as I had it setup to do). Make sure you either delete the program or remember to shut it off (exit) before you use DDUtil and SmartCAT or you will have all kinds of "interesting" behaviors.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    USE DDUTIL DO NOT USE CAT to control HRD...CAT is too Slow and gobbles resources DDUTIL provides an Ethernet connection to DM780...it's a 1GB/s connection
  • NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for all replies.

HRD team remoted into computer. No resolution yet. They admitted "...there is a bug somewhere..." That was very insightful.

DDUtil is a resource gobbler. Not interested.

None of the other ideas worked.

• NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited June 2020
    OOOOOOOOPS!!

Tonight decided additional troubleshooting was called for.

Launching SmartSDR caused SmartCAT to indicate"

"Demote your software. Reverting one step will allow working with version of your client software"

Surprised, but commanded SmartCAT to "Demote". SmartSDR now back to V 1.3.8.0.

HRD working acceptably EXCEPT DM-780 WILL NOT TRANSMIT.

Any ideas on possible solution. System set up with infinite attention: DAX, mode,COM PORT, etc.

Hear you in CQP this weekend?
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited August 2016
    I'm using DDUTIL and it works fine with HRDLog, but I'm still not able to get a COM5 connection to activate PTT.  Is there a setting in DDUTIL that I'm missin?

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    The com port PTT. is generated in the cat program. Go there
    Yes you are missing. The function in Ddutil.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Dm780 will transmit. Please read the. Help file. And you will find. What you are not doing. Correctly. Dm780. Works. Cat works. Ddutility works.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Ky6la is absolutely correct. Run dm780. Off the ddutility function. . However The ptt can be generated in the flex cat program. (Defining com ports)Then utilized as a selection on how dm780 . Uses. Ptt. It's in the instructions
  • NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited November 2015
    What HELP file? There are many.

Will not use DDUtil. I use Microham Router that provides the "traffic cop" function DDUtil serves. So I do not need DDUtil.
  • NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    KY6LA is ALWAYS correct. But I do not want his solutions, as they do not meet my requirements. See notes below.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

If I am reading this string here correctly, we know several things. First DDUtil is not a solution due to your specific needs. Second, HRD seems to think there is an issue in their current build which would indicate that they will get a fix for you eventually. Third the HRD interface has several ways of keying the radio, none of which seem to work at the moment in your case.

So at the risk of repeating some suggestions here or even my own:

1)You could try the latest version of MiniDeluxe which provides only the HRD server function eliminating the need to run the full HRD control program. You setup the COM port for keying the radio in that program base on the virtual port pair you create in SmartCAT.

2)I did notice at one point that even if DM780 is setup correctly- you need to configure the radio in the Radio pane in the program. I had to click on the little TX button which then brought up another choice window, I then highlighted the TX selection and clicked OK. Press the TX button in the Radio pane and the Flex should go into TX. Once that is working hopefully you will have what you need.

Hope this helps.

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Try calling them for a answer. You may reconsider. Ddutility.
  • NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    In what instructions. There are many instruction authors. The is Flex guidance and instructions, There are HRD guidance and instructions. I am dizzy from reading and going step by step, yet their collective guidance has not resolved the matter.
  • NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    Try calling who? I've been in conversation with both F;ex and HRD. If their fingers were any longer, they would reach from Dallas to Florida, and they would poke each other in the eye as hey point fingers about who has the problem.

But so far, zilch resolution.

Do you have a name of someone I should call?
  • NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    Jon.

Interesting ideas. Some I will look into and report any improvement.

One thing I find curious about creating virtual com ports in CAT. I've done that several times. So far nothing has worked.

As to configuring the radio in the HRD software, I've done that.

In case anyone reading these comments think I am completely clueless, I should say that my set-up is working superbly with my Yaesu FTDX-5000 as well as my other back-up rig, a Yaesu FT-950.

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited January 2018
    I just downloaded the latest HRD live beta version that was released yesterday and it cured the COM port problem....at least for me.  Still got a bug or two to chase out of SDR-Bridge, but I'm getting closer there too.
  • NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    Great! No cure here.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Wait. Bet if you un install all those vert com ports. List all that are hidden. Yep hidden and clean it up. Then re add them. You will have success Windows 7. Go to control panel Select ports (com &lpt) Click on view Select. Show hidden devices. Go from there Hope this helps
  • NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    Unclear to me how your answer relates to my problem. But I deleted all the virtual com  ports SmatSDR "added" on my command, and then "added" another one.

SmartSDR "added" the "next" virtual com port, but once again retained the ones I had "deleted". I verified with Win 7 task manager that the Flex virtual com ports REMAINED immediately after I tried to eleminate them.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    If com ports are still there after you un installed them. Well they were never uninstalled. Because. If you un install them they are gone. . It may not be ur problem. But it is possible.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Charlie... NP2G is likely correct but just not expressing himself clearly

We had a similar issue with Rob WA3IHV's virtual ports which were not deleted so they acted as Zombie Ports causing issues similar to yours.

Go to Control Panel --> Device Manager--->View  --> Check -Show Hidden Devices -->

Then look for the serial ports  ---> Uninstall all virtual serial ports

Then reboot

Go to Control Panel --> Device Manager--->View  --> Check -Show Hidden Devices -->

The virtual serial ports should be gone now...

Then do a Reinstall

Same issue with Hidden DAX Channels (Zombie)...you may need to see any hidden ones and uninstall them before you do a clean install  - with your 6300...you might want to remove anything above DAX2

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Hey guys

To uninstall hidden com ports in Windows 7 & 8 you need to run a command from a elevated privelage command prompt. Here's the procedure.

The trick was to open the Command Prompt as administrator and start the Device Manager from the same command prompt.

1. Right-click “Command Prompt” in Accessories and choose “Run as Administrator”

2. Enter “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1″ – without the quotes obviously

3. Enter “start devmgmt.msc”

4. In the box that opens, select “Show hidden devices” in the ‘view’ menu.

Now if you expand the section on COM ports, all the COM ports that have ever
    been created will be displayed, the non present ones being in grey. You can
    uninstall away anything that you don’t want (right click, select uninstall).

I would suggest uninstalling SmartSDR CAT and any other virtual com port software, reboot, then do the above procedure to delete phantom com ports.

Reboot again and reinstall SmartSDR CAT.

Another thing, make sure you download the latest Mini Deluxe. The older version DOES NOT work with HRD version 6.2 or newer as HRD authors changed the radio name from PowerSDR to PowerSDR SmartSDR.

Dave, wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2016

Once you clean out any phantom com ports and reinstall SmartSDR CAT, create a PTT Com port pair and click on RTS.

In DM780 go to Program Option / PTT and select vial serial (COM) port. Choose the lower number of the PTT Com port pair created in SmartSDR CAT. Also click Set DTR and Set RTS.

Dave, wo2x

• NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    Thanks Dave. I did all that. NO JOY! DM-780 appears to work correctly decoding the transmitted signal, printing to the QSO screen, showing the waterfall, etc.

When commanded to transmit one of the Madros, the display changes to a transmit display (Waterfall goes smooth and all you see is a fake trace where you had the filter set).

But NO TX key.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    ok now the check list 

1. You have made in cat program the port that will act as PTT  (Lets say for me Port 6)
    2. you have pressed on the flex screen   Mode DigiU  or DigiL  
    3. You have turned on DAX  (Lets say port 1  for me)
    4 You have also pressed DAX  Far right middle in Transmit panel  just under +ACC
    5. Open DAX and make sure by looking at the DAX   Display panel that (For me DAX1 is selected and  DAX 1 Transmit is also active.(Again for illustration for me) 
    6. If you cannot locate DAX  and it is running  it hides (SHOW HIDDEN ICONS   Right lower the arrow Place mouse on this Mouse up to this window hover over DAX and Right click  Highlight (show control Panel )Right click  it should appear .  

7 . I have been running DM 780 as I use it to control information from the Flex to the rest of my station. It should be displaying upper area the version  the  frequency  and the mode   .
    8. Open up setup on DDutil   Under features  you should have HRD APPS checked ENAB  I have 6.2 checked also . Under ports  I have various ports listed as to repeat cat info. And in scratch pad  i left myself a note of what is what .
    9. Now DM780  (It will come up active in the last mode you ran (For me  B PSK 31 )The recieve screen on DM780 will first display PTT info   FSK Info Input and output info  See if they match what you have. 
    Mine displays PTT COM6
    FAK  Blank
    Input DAX audio RX1 DAX RX audio
    Output DAX audio TX1 DAX TX AUDIO.

Just incase yours does not show whats configured .
    PTT  it is found  waterfall  OPTIONS Left hand colum PTT  COM Port  I select via serial com port  List is there select what you have created . 
    On transmit  you have 2 selections DTR  or RTS   Check the one you created in the CAT 
    Under again Waterfall   options   select Soundcard  and set the input /output to the proper DAX controls.

Since this is setup  I would shut DM780 down and restart.

The program with everything in it should be 100% active  go have fun.

Now I am sure this is what you are doing   so this is just a check list  . If the checklist is followed  It will work .

And I have went by my numbers to show you  however you can go in any sequence you wish .

• NN3V
    NN3V Member
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the ideas.

I do no use DDUTIl, so that does not apply to my case.

I've done all that since I started trying to make my Flex 6300 work with HRD

I did it all again, following your numbering of the steps.

I did it again because I anted to see if I missed anything the first time.

NO JOY.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.