Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-3000 is gone?

The Flex-3000 is no longer to sell on the Flexradio homepage...

73, Cedric HB9HFN

Answers

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    It was a wonderful radio.   But the 6300 is a worthy replacement.   Now all we need is a 6150 - 10watt QRP Radio that will fit in your backpack with a built in router and were cooking on gas!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I noticed that this morning as well.  Has the 3000 been dropped from the line?  or are they rewriting some of the web pages?

If the 3000 is being dropped, is the 1500 far behind?  (I hope not, it is the best QRP deal out there in my book.)
    If so, is there a Flex-6100 on the horizon?  Hmmm... 5 watts, 1-54 Mhz coverage, 1 or 2 Mhz wide pan, two slices, little brother to the 6300... Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Ted  WA3AER
    Ted WA3AER Member
    edited June 2020
    You are so right. That was a rather quiet stage left exit, wasn't it? I suppose it was inevitable as the technology moves forward. Now I have 2 vintage Flex SDRs, the 3000 and 5000, both in fine working order, which are sure to become collector items one fine day. Were it not for these radios' existence, It's unlikely I would have gotten back into Amateur Radio. These "old timers" are still head-and-shoulders better than many of the knob radios out there, unless you're able to spend a LOT more $$. 73 Ted WA3AER
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As much as I hate to see the 3000 go, (It was probably the best rig in its price category) I have to admit that it would be much easier on FRS to consolidate to one product line and throw all of their development energy that way.  

On the other hand, I am not sure that the market is ready to see the 1500 dropped from the line.  It would be interesting to know how many they are still selling.  It is a great little rig!

I was amazed when I got the little 1500.  At under $650 its receiver kicked the **** of my Kenwood TS-850.  I would love to see a 6100 or 6150, but am afraid that the price point might not be able to match the 1500, although I am sure that performance would surpass it.  My guess is they would need to shoot for under $800-$900 in order to carve out a place in the batting order.  
    (But I haven't done any sales research on the matter.)
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The FLEX-1500 is still selling quite well.  We will continue to make it as long as sales volumes support.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good to know, Gerald.  That is a great little rig.  If I hadn't whet my teeth on the 1500 and my wife could see how much FUN I was having with it, I would NEVER have gotten the 6500 approved by my "local finance committee!"
  • Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    A "61__" model would be interesting, and maybe even a worthy competitor to the popular Elecraft KX3 (claimed to be a SDR, but not to the degree of Flex Radio transceivers). Ten watts (or so) output, SSDR, Ethernet interface... is this being considered? I fully realize that many potential products are proposed by the geeks (with good reason), but panned by the bean counters (also with good reason).

Even using such a radio as a 1500 as a general coverage SWL radio makes sense; a 61-series as described above would be even better. Most companies can build a transmitter that works reasonably well, but with the Flex.... ohhhhhh, that receiver! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    All good things must come to an end.  When dealing with cutting edge technology like SDR, it's going to have a much shorter product life cycle than mature technology where there are fewer opportunities for advancement.  Personally, I like being on the cutting edge and I realize what that means.

Collins never came out with an "affordable" alternative to the S line.  For decades it was the most prestigious commercial brand name in existence.  It was a pity that many of us couldn't afford it and could only dream and drool.

My 3000 got me into SDR radio with a gradual upgrade to a 5000, then a 6300.  Who knows what the next big thing will be?  Right now, there's still enough mystery and awe in the 6000 series and SSDR to keep me satisfied for a long time.

There are a lot of 3000s and 5000s out there and they're both still being actively supported by Flex.  I have a feeling that those radios will be the first SDR for many hams.
  • Howard - W1HMB
    edited June 2016
    I agree with Rick's (N8SDR) comments!
  • Ricky
    Ricky Member
    edited January 2015
    I think you are making a mistake on this move of no longer making the 3000. If you want sale to go back up on this great radio just get rid of the Fire wire interface and use the same connection as the flex 6000 rigs and the rigs will start selling again. The firewire is ok but too many problems on hooking it up. This was the BEST Rig in your line up. Again I feel you are making a huge MISTAKE !
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It seems to me that a redesign of the 3000 to change the interface from firewire to ethernet would be a major undertaking in order to update a piece of equipment whose design is already 6-7 years old.  It would require redesigning all the circuit boards, designing new production routines, reprogramming surface mount flow soldering equipment, rewriting software and manuals, testing a new design, and getting type acceptance all over again.  All for a rig that has had a great run, but is already old technology.  

I would think that it would also bump the price up to the point that the difference between it and the 6300 would be insignificant.  It is time to let it go and look to the future and see what new things are coming down the FRS pipeline.
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

In 4 to 5 years, will the 6000 series be experiencing this issue with obsolescence?

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Maybe.  Although the word "obsolescence is somewhat ominous. Obsolete refers to something that is already disused or discarded, or antiquated.  I don't think that applies to any of the Flex legacy radios.

I have a 2005 BMW 325i with almost 200K miles on it.  I can't buy this car any more but the dealer still services it and I drive it to work every day.  The dealer stopped making this car a year after it went into production.  However, people still buy the 3 series knowing that their baby will be obsolete less than 12 months after they bough ti.

The rapid advances in technology mean that new components are brought to market with increasing speed. Flex, being a progressive company, incorporates the latest technology into their products.  If they didn't they wouldn't be around very long.  And someone else would be marketing an 8-slice SDR, which itself would eventually become obsolete.

Personally, I look forward to the 7000 series radios.  And if the Signature Series radios hold their value as well as my 3000 and 5000 did, I will be glad to upgrade.

Steve
    W6SDM
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.