Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Squelch Implementation

Norm - W7CK
Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

I'm assuming some sort of squelch function will be implemented when FM is introduced later this year.  I have 2 questions.

Will it work in all modes such as SSB, AM, DAX etc.?

Will each slice have its own independent squelch control?

If not, I'd like to make this a recommendation.

Norm - W7CK

Answers

• pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited September 2014

I agree with You , Norm.  I also wanted to see a squelch control for each slice and the squelch should work also in SSB and AM.

Jan , pa0bie.

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    Since each Slice can be put in a different mode, the squelch will definitely need to be at the Slice level (meaning independent controls).

Having the squelch work in multiple modes is a good idea as well.  Thanks for your input.  We keep these in mind.
  • Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited September 2016
    I would assume Norm that as a per slice function you'd end up with something along these lines below.

It would be nice if the dev guys at FRS could have the SQL type toggle from level to noise? Like the ASC in some newer radios so you'd not be bothered about changes in signal level but rather the content of such - even better would be a CTCSS Sql as well :-) For those days on 10m when the repeaters are open it would be nice to "SQL" out other boxes ...

Please forgive horrid artwork.

73 Steve

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A number of years ago, (in the 80's?), Ham Radio Magazine (now defunct) had an article about a Sylabic Squelch or something like that.  It used circuitry to detect the natural tone variations of the human voice and created a squelch that responded only when there was a human voice speaking, and rejected other noise, static, carriers, etc.  It seems that this could be easily done in software to create a "voice operated squelch" for the Flex radios.  Perhaps someone's project for the new API?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.