Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Global/TX profile exchange pool

DK1EY
DK1EY Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I just had some work to adjust my 6300 to work the way I want it to work.
Same thing with TX audio. On the band, I met with another Flex-6700 user to setup my audio for example.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a source for profiles of different radio/mode setups to share with other Flex users? Maybe just for a starting point or for comparison?

This could easily be done via a Dropbox link, where the file is stored for download.

It could be hosted on a thread and the links could be maintained e.g. like this:

Flex 6300 TX Profile Rode NT1A

VY73
Tom
DK1EY

Comments

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    sounds like an ideal way to get hacked
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Interesting aspect!

Please explain it a bit more detailed. I am not that deep into hacking that I could estimate the risk of downloading a non-official profile.

Sure, nearly everything could be disguised as profile data.
    But is it really that critical?

Any ideas how to avoid such a risk? And no, not sharing a profile is not an option ;)

I am looking forward to hearing your opinion.

VY73
    Tom
    DK1EY 

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The FlexRadio runs on Linux, and I assume that security has not been compromised. In any case, I think the risk is theoretical, but I would be happier if FRS had some oversight into the project or even better, get some decent documentation out of the door yesterday so we can set up our own profiles ourselves.
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited September 2014
    I think Lee's comment is on target. The radio "is" a computer it will run any instruction its loaded with that it can understand. Ever been infected with a Computer virus, trojan, or root kit. Wanna be? I can make it a simple "one click" or I can hide it in a ascii file that you can't understand. It just has to be loaded on the computer first, Can you figure out some method to get my tiny little file inside? So telling you the stove is hot is required I guess. the burn mark on your finger wasn't enough. Maybe we should do a poll to see if anyone agree's its's hot. Security first, please. Conveniences can go second. Be careful what you ask for, we all just might get it.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    No way would I ever load someone else profile.... That would be really asking for trouble...IMHO
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited September 2014
    Anyone not sure what I'm on about, should grab a copy of "Flex 6300 TX Profile Rode NT1A" above and then open the file in notepad. Now tell me what it's supposed to do, and how you know that. "NT1A Optimum" Hmmmm Could beeee! Could be a trip on the UPSmobile back to Austin for "UnBricking" Go ahead load the profile now that you've all verified the file. And please Vote if you have any problems.
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited September 2014
    Still not sure? 1. Start with SSDR shutdown but your radio still on. 2. Double Click SSDR_Config_09-11-14_10.12.ssdr_cfg 3. Wait you verified it first right? 4. Go ahead and select your radio and click connect 5. Just select whatever options you usually select and click Import. 6. Hello is this UPS??? Can you stop at my place tomorrow, got a package for you? Drop it off ??? What??? Hello! Hello! 7. Or vote NO! 8. Huh? Ain't no way to vote NO! Huh? -- This has been a Public Service Announcement --
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited September 2014
    You did double click the correct Icon didn't you? Not just the similar looking Icon. Well just move that one to the Recycle Bin since you don't need it.
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I just deleted the file. Not that anybody has to test a "potentially risky" (pro)file.

Maybe your concerns are correct and it seems to be a better idea not to download files from not verified sources.
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited September 2014
    Tom I'm sorry, I didn't intend to suggest your file was harmful in any way. I was just trying to point out to any of the unsuspecting that this "could" have unintended results. Some lucky folks haven't been bitten by the "you probably shouldn't click things you find on the internet without understanding the risks" monster. Currently SmartSDR imports without any warning dialog or even an "Are you sure?" prompt. PowerSDR would sometimes **** chunks if you imported a corrupted database. Databases were stored on the PC where they could be deleted. Profiles are stored inside the radio where we don't have file access. So once its in there, do we know how to get it back out? Hopefully whatever embedded Linux OS the radio is running won't allow say, disabling the Ethernet device by any process or changeable configuration setting unless done back at Flexradio. Software usually already contains plenty of bugs, No need to find them new friends. There is a bit of difference between importing a file you found at *.flexradio.com and one you found at a third party "groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FlexStuff" website.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It is an interesting concept, if it could be made secure, and if files could be verified as not harmful.
    Another possibility, at least for TX profiles, could be a text-based listing of various parameters Such as:

NM9P PR22 DX profile
    Input: BAL     Level: 37
    PROC: DX+
    Low Cut: 215     High Cut: 2900
    TX EQ:  -8, -6, -4, -2, +6, +8, +6, -10
    DEXP:  47

Comments:  using line level input from a flat pre-amp into the BAL port.
    For extra high boost, use TX EQ:  -8, -6, -4, -2, +7, +9, +7, -10

Setup>Phone tab settings:
    Bias: OFF  +20 dB: OFF

=========================

NM9P PR22 Rag-Chew profile

Input: BAL     Level: 37
    PROC: DX
    Low Cut: 65     High Cut: 3000
    TX EQ:  -8, -6, -4, -2, +6, +8, +6, -10
    Dexp:  47

Comments:  using line level input from a flat preamp into the BAL port.
    For a little less punch, use PROC: NOR (normal)

Bias: OFF  +20 dB: OFF

=========================

NM9P Cheap Computer Headset DX profile
    Input: MIC     Level: 45
    PROC: DX+
    Low Cut: 200     High Cut: 2900
    TX EQ:  -10, -10, -10, -8, +1, +10, +10, -10
    DEXP:  54
    Comments:  using front panel input.

Bias: ON  +20 dB: ON

These could be exchanged easily on a forum.  It wouldn't be "Plug-an-play," but only takes a minute to enter into your system.  And each setting is verified by the user.

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.