Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ZZSM return values are always even numbers

Options
Tim K8XS
Tim K8XS Member
edited August 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am writing software to convert the smeter readings into dBm. The value will be displayed continuously is a separate box. During the development, I happened to notice that the values returned from ZZSM were always even numbers. The documented range of 0 to 260 would imply to me to mean all values, not just even values. I find this a bit odd (pun intended). Maybe this is intentional; however, past experience makes me wonder if a LSB (ie the 2^0 value) is getting truncated or masked. Just an observation. 

BTW, I am giving the app the ability to have peak hold and the hold time and level of integration and sample rate are user adjustable parameters. I am writing it in VB.net using Visual Studio Express 2013.

Answers

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I woul love to see that app!
  • Tim K8XS
    Tim K8XS Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    No problem Nick. I'll make it available to anyone who wants it.

-Tim K8XS
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes great thing. I am amassed that the smart sdr is so good and could be light years ahead of the other brands if they would just not lose what was already available in powersdr. I miss the ability to set my skin and the ability to display in a form I can see and use a real looking smeter and the display of DBM and the power out and swr in something but a funky hard to see red one. I know you can Hoover over the smeter and see DBM so why not allow you to tun it to DBM all the time. I use ddutil to get these features but why do I have to load a third party program which is available on power sdr already. I know I will now have 10 people tell me how much the love the hard to see red lines but I do not. Keep up the development.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you so eloquently stating the problem with that useless impossible to see red on black tiny analog meter.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Totally agree.... That's why I like my BIG woodbox BOBSmeter for SSDR.... it works great and placed right it looks like it's part of SSDR

John
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "During the development, I happened to notice that the values returned from ZZSM were always even numbers. The documented range of 0 to 260 would imply to me to mean all values, not just even values."

The return value from ZZSM will always be an even number due to the scaling operation that is applied to the data from the radio as the metering function in the 6000 does not return values from between 0 and 260 which is done to ensure compatibility with the previous PowerSDR ZZSM CAT command.  

The Kenwood SM command compresses the S-meter into a maximum of 30 increments. The ZZSM command only compresses it into 260 increments.  Neither were intended to return an exact meter readings.  If you want more precision, you should dump CAT and use the API to communicate with the radio, but I suspect for just displaying S meter reading, precision to that level is not required or the error significant.
  • Tim K8XS
    Tim K8XS Member
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Nick,
    I have a version of the program that I feel comfortable releasing. Drop me an email (K8XS on QRZ.com and I'll send you a copy).

Tim K8XS
  • Tim K8XS
    Tim K8XS Member
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Tim,
    Where do I get a copy of the API?

Thanks,
    -Tim K8XS
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    On its way
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    On its way

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.