Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Please consider linking RX EQ settings to Transmit Profile?

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Thank you very much for the new Profiles in V 1.3.  But I have a suggestion.

When I am rag-chewing, most of the time I like the RX EQ OFF, but available for a single button click to enhance the highs to pull out a weaker or poorly EQed signal.

When Contesting or busting pileups, I like to have the RX EQ ON as a default.

When working CW, I like all the RX EQ ON with all settings at the bottom with only the 500 Hz raised all the way up.  (I still must do this manually now, which takes lots of time.)

It would be very handy to have these RX EQ settings and switch positions linked to a Transmit profile, because I already have my TX EQ and TX Bandwidth linked to Rag-Chew and DXing profiles.  I could create a CW transmit profile that would automatically turn RX EQ ON with the proper level settings.

This would be much handier than using a global profile, because the Global Profile also changes the frequency, panadapters, slices, and other parameters.

An alternative to this Idea, but not as flexible, would be to link RX EX persistence to the mode - SSB, DIGI, CW, AM, etc.

Actually I would like to have BOTH.  A standard, default RX EQ linked to each mode, and the option of defining a custom RX EQ for specialized operations such as DXing and linking that to a Transmit Profile.
2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited September 2014
    I also like to see the RX EQ and TX EQ linked to the profiles.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited June 2020
    Isn't that what Global profiles do....

"With profiles, the entire configuration of the radio can be stored including the number of receivers, where they are tuned and how they are setup. Each of these "global profiles" can be named and then later recalled quickly to transition between operating modes."

or am i missing something?

John

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Global profiles also link frequency, mode, slices, pan adapters, and many other parameters. So if I save a global profile and recall it, I get many other things I don't need when I just want to change from my rag chew settings to DX parameters while on the same frequency. Global profiles are great, but we need a subset of functions linked to transmit profiles.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    But you could just make a global setup for ragchew and 1 for dx the way you want and all you have to do is change the frequency manually....I think it would be redundant if the transmit profiles would save all the settings too.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    hey Ken... I just looked and you live real close to a good friend of mine..... ka9meh Vern.... He lives in Huntingburg,IN...you will have to stop by 3.810 some late evening and join us.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When I click on a spot and change frequencies, then I need to determine from band conditions whether I want rag chew mode or DX mode, or the CW profile with RXEQ narrow, etc. I don't need to hit a global profile and then need to change frequency all over again. When my operating style is to gadfly all around, between rag chew conversations, DX pile ups, CW hits and RTTY contacts working splits, all in response to either my own whim or an interesting spot on my logging program, I need more flex ability than what a whole global profile offers me. The global profile controls TOO much. I just need transmit profile, with a few extras, like RXEQ, filters and AGC settings. Global profiles would be used for setting a whole array of slices and pans in order to set up skimmer, WSJT-x, or other thing with very complicated arrangements. Btw... Huntingburg is about 40 minutes away. I have talked with Vern on 80 Meters several times....your call sounds familiar, too.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    yeah I checked my logs and we have talked a couple times

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Another way of putting it.... Global profiles are great if I say to myself..."I want to do some rag chewing on my favorite band/frequency"....boom! Or "I think I want to spend the night DXing on 40cw tonight." Then it is all set up with one click of the global profile menu. And if I say to myself, I think I will spend the night calling up the RTTY county hunters net on 80, while also monitoring WSJT-X on 20 in another pan adapter... Then"click" I am on frequency and ready to go. But if I am tuning around with my setup in rag chew mode, and come across a weak DX station and want to quickly change my TX and RXEQ settings to DX mode...the global profiles are useless.... If I use that, then I have lost the frequency that I was on. Then if a spot for W1AW/p comes on for 160 CW and I click on it, I want to be able to hit the CW TX profile and have it set up my side tones and RX EQ the way I want it for weak/noisy CW . If I use a CW Global profile, it would change the frequency,and perhaps other parameters that I don't need to change. But if after working the 160 CW station I tune up the band and hear another contact on 160 SSB I need to be able to hit the TX DX profile and have it change the Tx settings, but also the RX EQ so I can bring the signal out of the noise by boosting the high frequencies a bit. Again, the global profile would not be helpful because it also changes the frequency, pan adapters, and other things ... Too much. I hope this makes sense.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Whew I got dizzy...OH  I get it Ken....it makes complete sense to me.... I think....When your doing all this flopping around you would like SSDR to read your mind and autoset the prams for you.....Now wouldn't that be great... Just joking around a bit...I see that the global setting aren't ideal for you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.