Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SteppIR Transceiver Interface 2

Richard - N7HX
Richard - N7HX Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
WBB gave me a step by step answer on how to control my SteppIR controller.  I had an additional question, but when I went back to the conversation it said it was closed.  Is there anyway to ask a question on a closed conversation other than starting a new conversation? 

I have another question for WBB.  I got my SteppIR working OK using your instructions.  I also got my Yaesu rotorcard working.  But I have some additional questions.  I keep getting a "CAT server send error" even though the SteppIR and Yaesu are being controlled.  And the SteppIR keeps switching over to "BI (3/4)" when I am tuning.  Could these two be related?  Also, how do you get the rotor to turn to a callsign location?  It works OK when choosing a prefix or country from the menu?  Can DDUtil access a callsign database?  I am using Buckmaster's callsign database.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    To answer your first question, once the topic's question has been answered it is closed for additional comments. This is to prevent a lot of additional "off topic" comments that may make finding the actual answer more difficult to extract from a post.  If you need to ask a different question on any subject, search for it in the Community and then post a new topic (question) if you can't find the answer.

Since not all questions on this post have been answered, this topic is being left open for Community members to participate.

• Richard - N7HX
    Richard - N7HX Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    After some additional research, I believe I have my questions answered.  From what I can see, DDUtil does not have the capability to work with a call sign database, correct?
  • WBB
    WBB Member
    edited April 2019

Hello Richard,

I am not sure I have a solution for u on the rotator (Yaesu??).  I use a Prosistel rotor with a Prosistel program integrated with dx monitor program to set rotor direction, etc (none of which interface with DDUtil or Flexradio).  Here you might teach me what I need to do...

However, on the "SteppIR keeps switching over to "BI (3/4)" when I am tuning" issue; make sure you use a "null modem cable".  I used a null modem "pin adapter" made in china, it worked sometimes and had errors other times.   Errors went away when I used a null modem CABLE. 

"Could these two be related"; I can not see how related.  Not sure whey, however, I do have to "typically" load DDUTil program twice (for each new operating session) to get Cats lined up correctly)... this may be ur problem as well.

DDUTil is working correctly when u see the slice transmit frequency on both the DDUTil main window and in the SteppIRir window.

AK5WB

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    DDUtil cannot work with a callsign database but it can work with a third party program such as DX Labs suite or Ham Radio Deluxe which have DX Clusters and enable lookup of the callsign and providing interfacing to a rotor to turn to the correct azimuth. I do this with DDUtil and HRD Logbook/HRD Rotor control.

Dave, wo2x
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I do the same thing with DXLab.

Jon...kf2e
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I use both HRD and DXlab with DDUTIL to control my Yaesu Rotor. DDUTIL is the "magic sauce" that ties everything together. The call sign database is accessed through HRD or DXlabs using an Internet XML feed from QRZ.com. I have been a DXLAB user for 10+ years and HRD for about 8 years. I swap between them depending on the mood I am in albeit lately I have been favoring HRD. BUT DDUTIL allows both to work at the same time. Rotor to call sign database operation is virtually seamless.
  • Ron
    Ron Member
    edited February 2017
    I have a question I have Y-cable from SteppIR that is configured for my old Mark V Yaesu.
    I would like to change the Pin out to Kenwood settings for the Flex 6500.
     Would someone in the group have the pin out?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Hi Ron,

With SmartSDR/Flex 6000 you can use DDUtil to share CAT info with all your devices. You would need a free com port on the PC to connect to the SteppIR control box. The DDUtil WiKi has the exact wiring info (I do not have a SteppIR).

This eliminates the need of a Y cable.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.