Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX and soundcards

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have read the SmartSDR manual a few times and watched a few videos and I am a little puzzled. I will be getting my FlexRadio in a couple of weeks all being well.

To work in digital modes, are the DAX items virtual soundcards so one does not actually have to bother with the PCs real soundcard? So one sets up a DAX for a slice and then connects the data software to that DAX - is that how it works?

It is not 110% clear to me. No doubt it would be clear if I had my station yet. Will need to use data modes straight ways as the XYL watches TV at the other end of our longish through lounge.

TIA

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Answers

• GM4WCE
    GM4WCE Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes, you just set the digimode program to use DAX as its input so the soundcard is not used.  I got my 6300 a couple of weeks ago and it works very well with digimodes.  I use HRD DM780 for datamodes.

Peter GM4WCE
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for clarifying that. I have been looking at software for data modes and have heard about the DM780. It only seems to be available as part of the HRD suite, I will give it a closer look. I do not mind paying for software.

Mni tnx, de Guy
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Follow up question. Does DAX use a sound card internal to the radio or in the connected PC when working with digital programs Mike N9DFD
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's what I use does a great job on the digital modes as well as CW. I don't use the rig control part just logbook and DM780 using ddutil Mike N9DFD
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Mike,

AIUI DAX is a virtual sound card that is used instead of physical sound cards. Just connect your data progs to the DAX and treat them as soundcards. Hope this helps. I was puzzled as the latest software manual talks about connecting to a real sound card.

Can I use my FlexRadio to power my PCs speakers or do I need another set for audio?
  • GM4WCE
    GM4WCE Member
    edited September 2014
    Hi again Guy,

You can use your PC speakers.  I use a virtual audio cable to route the DAX output from the slice to the speakers connected to my PC sound card.  I do not use the audio jack on the rear of the 6300.  I have my headphones on the front jack.

73 de Peter
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    You should look at the DXLab Suite of applications as well. They are excellent apps with great support and are free.

Jon...kf2e
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Loverly Peter. My last rig was an FT 200. Since then, we have more bands and more ways of getting on them. I am SOOO exceited to be taking up this hobby again. My children are of the 'big deal just skype it' generation.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Things have changed so much since I was last OTA. Checkin gout all the software available will be fun. I have d/l Ham Radio Delux 5 and once familiar with that will checkout the 30 day demo version of v6. I prefer to use actively developed software rather than abandonware.
    73s de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    DXLab is probably the most actively developed piece of ham software out there. I was an HRD 6.12 user(paid) but left it to DXLab because of the slow pace of development with HRD.

Jon...kf2e
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for that remommendation Jon,

73s de Guy G4DWV/4X1LY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.