Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

When can we look forward to Pure Signal

Options
2»

Answers

• G4BIM
    G4BIM Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lets hope so....
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

The potential for on-band interference reduction is remarkable.  Consider a tightly packed band like 20m. If all stations one day began using APD, we could fit close to 2x the number of SSB and digital stations on the band.  This is not about "sounding better" although there are some sonic benefits to SSB.   It's mostly about cleaning up transmissions that have been allowed to become worse since the advent of the RF power transistor.  Typical 3rd-order IMD levels from Heathkit, Drake, and Collins gear is a good 10 dB better than what we've seeing for the last 30 years. 

If skeptics could see what I've been watching from AC2IQ and WA1OXT, the skepticism would vanish.  One can watch opposite sideband IMD artifacts drop from -25 dBc to -60 dBc when APD is engaged.  This is not some cute marketing bragging right.  These guys have every right to brag if they want to.  It tells you something that if APD can clean up a class B amp into class A performance, we should all be paying attention.  No matter what we say, it won't sink in for many and the light bulb will finally illuminate when QST starts putting APD product under a  magnifying glass in their monthly Product Reviews.  With SDR, we've now reached receive performance perfection.  It's now the transmitter's turn.

I know the Flex team "gets it."  We'll just have to be patient for it to happen. 

Paul, W9AC

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I think there is magic yet to be performed on receive 73 W9OY
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Paul, I agree that the folks at Flex "get it," and have from the start, or they wouldn't have put the sensors in the rig in the first place.  And like you, I am willing to wait for them to "get it right!"  Gerald has essentially said they are working on it but don't want to reveal any industrial secrets (reading between the lines) or compromise/delay other items on the roadmap by promising before it they can deliver. (which would be an even worse marketing blunder than some consider not having a roadmap date for predistortion)  

I imagine that when it is ready for release it will be awesome.  
    For now, I am checking out of this discussion...6 meters is open!  <grin>
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Since flex "included" the internal sampling in their design I will presume that it takes care of the flex. However using a sampler at the final output ,amplifier. Pure signal correct the entire set up . Which is what you want it to do. Just pure signal In the exciter offers nice imd reduction. Total correction . Same effort, similar hardware, sampler after the amp. puts the WOW. In the package. And you guys that think lowering the standard or just making it is the way to go . I have a ARC 5 that I can sell you.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Improvements should never stop
  • Mr Radio
    Mr Radio Member ✭✭
    Options

Is there an update about implementation of Pure Signal (pre-distortion)? Does someone know if apart of a new version of SSDR some additional hardware is needed to interface a Flex series 6000 radio with PG XL?

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

While I'd like to see Pre-Distortion implemented and I believe FRS will eventually make it happen, I have an even greater interest in a noise algorithm that works as well as NR2 function in the ANAN radios, and also implementing phase adjustable Diversity Receive (like many of us enjoyed with PowerSDR).

Many hams want a cleaner transmit signal and I think that's great. I'd pay for this improvement without hesitation. Sadly it's not hard to find heavily distorted and/or splattering SSB signals on the HF bands, and worse, some operators could care less, and are more interested in what their power meter is showing and their Point B S-meter readings. It's a safe bet this issue won't be going away anytime soon, so I'd prefer to see more SSDR program efforts put into NR improvements.

Butch KF4HR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.