Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New video card installed. Suggestions for optimization?

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I just installed a Diamond Radeon HD 6570 Video card that my brother had as surplus in his gaming computer.  (I can buy it from him for $42)  I had to go to the AMD support site and download the Catalyst driver software.  It has 2 Gb memory and 3 ports HDMI, DVI & RGB.  I am hoping to run it with all three monitors.  So far I only have it connected to a 22 inch 1080p and a 23 inch 1080p TV/Monitors using HDMO & RGB ports.  I have a DVI-HDMI Adapter and cable that I plan to use on the second monitor and then add a smaller RGB when I get it unpacked.

Any suggestions on settings to use with my Lenovo K410 i3 running Win8.1/64 for optimal performance?  So far it seems to have a bit less "over-run" on the edges of the pan when tuning with the FlexControl Knob.  But it still has some.

I am not sure I am going to keep this video card, but am giving it a test to see if I really want to spend more for a faster one.  My current power supply will not supply the 6 pin molex to the HD 7770 that I was looking at on Amazon.

Answers

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    k3nc is 'da man' for stuff like this, IMHO...

i will also be curious w his reply since i recently upgraded to a Radeon  7790 series card...
     it recently dropped below by '$100 pain threshold' ..ha!

wondering what amout of 'bloatware' we have to tolerate, mostly...

73, w5xz, dan

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Turn off dynamic DPI scaling.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, guys. Tim, I will turn DPI scaling off. I don't know what it is supposed to add anyway! The jury is still out on this card. I had to go to the AMD website and download the new Catalyst driver software to get it to run. It seems better than the internal video with fewer over-runs on screen edges. But I don't know if it is enough better for $42 to warrant keeping it instead of going with a faster card for a few more $$$.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Auto DPI scaling will try to adjust the DPI settings based on your monitor size.  If you use a large monitor, the desktop icons can look really large and fuzzy.  Manually setting the DPI to 100% (96 pixels / inch) can make SmartSDR look better on large displays when running Win 8.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Tim. I am running 22 and 23 inch TV/1080p monitors, one with HDMI and the other with DVI cable. For TV's they look pretty nice in monitor mode. I am using a dual monitor pole, and hope to add a third monitor, a 19 inch RGB flat panel for my digi mode display which will require rearranging my operating desk, AGAIN.

It is interesting how quickly you run out of "real estate " on the monitors when running SSDR, logging program, digi program, voice keyer, k9DUR memory program, DX spotting, W1AW/p tally sheet, and internet all at the same time!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.