Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Preamp success!

Jay -- N0FB
Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Last night, as a line of severe thunderstorms were making their way into Kansas City, 6 meter opened via ducting. I started hearing stations from North Carolina, Virginia, British Columbia, and a lone contact from Montana. I tried to make a contact to one of the North Carolina stations, but just as he was coming back to me the band took a deep QSB fade. I could see a faint trace on the waterfall, but the audio was unintelligible because of the atmospheric hash. I thought I would go ahead and add the preamp, not expecting much help. I was totally caught off guard by the result. The signal instantly increased and the voice of the Ham came astonishingly clear through my headset. Q5 copy. I had expected all levels to come up, including the noise. The only thing that appeared to increase (to me) was the real signal. Great job Flex! What a joy to operate the 6300 under very adverse conditions!

Comments

• Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Was this the internal preamp?
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Hi Joe!  Yes, this was the internal Antenna Preamp on my 6300.
  • Sparks
    Sparks Member
    edited July 2014
    QSL...this is the best HF pre-amp I've ever used.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have a 6500 and use the +10 dB position on 10 Meters and the +20 dB position on 6 Meters as my standard settings.  I never turn them off on those bands.  Both are very effective indeed! All of the other bands need no preamp at all.  This is an awesome rig!
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken,  I have arrived at the same settings here for the 6700.  +20dB on 6 meters, +10dB on 10 meters, 0dB on all the other HF bands (except sometimes 12 meters benefits a bit with +10dB when the band is very quiet).

I'm still playing with 2 meters (using the new DEMI 2MLDPA).

Yes, an awesome rig.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.