Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why does TNF creation not put the TNF on the RX freq, but in the middle of the passband?

Duane_AC5AA
Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Why does the creation of a TNF line it up roughly in the middle of the receive passband rather than on the indicated frequency?  I can see one good reason - that's where a tone is most likely to cause a problem if it pops up in the middle of a QSO.  The downside is that if I line up the RX cursor with the offending signal and then create a TNF, it lands 100 Hz (CW) or 1300 Hz (SSB) above the carrier freq. And, there doesn't appear to be any way other than the mouse to move the filter, and the adjustment steps are odd numbers  (like 119 Hz) making it difficult to get it directly on a narrow carrier.  Just wonderin'!

Answers

• Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Where we should create the new TNF becomes murkier when multiple Slices are within the same Panadapter which is why we opted to place it at the center by default when you hit it +TNF button. 

As an alternative you should be able to right click anywhere within a Panadapter and select "Create TNF". This will create a TNF at the current frequency of your mouse cursor snapped to your tune step. 

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ed, you beat me to it.  In fact, the right-click trick is the only way I have ever added a TNF.  I didn't even notice the +TNF button until you posted it!  WOW!  I must be dense!
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Well, of course, now that I see it I wonder how I missed it.  Just ZOOM the panadaptor, right click and create exactly where it's wanted.  Doh!  Thanks, guys!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.