Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR "Zero Beat" button?

Andrew O'Brien
Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
I just read some old threads on  zero beat , but did not see a clear answer to my issue.  Currently when using PowerSDR I occasionally use the zero beat button to help CW Skimmer display the decoded CW text.  I don't care about matching the tone, but do find being tuned in precisely enough for CW Skimmer is useful. Does SmartSDR have the same capability in this regard as PowerSDR?  I know we can manually tweak and get things pretty precisely tuned, but the one-click zero beat feature in powerSDR is very convenient. 

1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There currently isn't a "zero beat" option for SmartSDR, but there is an enhancement request for it.  Since the waterfall and panadapter have much higher resolution that the PowerSDR spectrum displays, it is much easier to zero beat a CW signal.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Andrew,
    I'm not sure if my idea request is the one Tim is referring to,  but I added one to AutoZeroBeat when click tuning.   This would really help the CW Skimmer users. 

Does this work for your requirements?  If so, please add your vote and comments if you have any additional feedback on the operation.  Both will help to move it up the list in priority. 

LINK below.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ssdr_autozerobeat_on_cw_click_tune

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Yes, exactly !
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    <dig up old thread as the feature is now added in sSDR1.4>

I noticed (not documented in the 1.4 user manual) that one can now Zero Beat (0B) a CW signal manually.  If you turn off break-in, attach your bug to the key input (ACC or front panel).  Closing said key will not key the transmitter but the CW sidetone comes alive and the receiver is still active.  One can then manually tune the receiver until the monitor tone is 0B.  I double checked against FlDigi and was able to 0B accurately every time.  

One can now be dead-on 0-beat using purely auditory queues.

_..--
    k3Tim 
  • Vincent Martin - N5ATM
    Vincent Martin - N5ATM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Anyone heard anything yet about when Flex will add the Zero beat option to SmartSDR?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Vincent,
    The AutoZeroBeat idea is number 5 (out of about 800) on the enhancement request list with 33 votes so far.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ssdr_autozerobeat_on_cw_click_tune

So it's clear there is a lot of interest and support for the enhancement.  Some ideas have a status of "under consideration" or "planned" but many like this one don't have a status.  Since FRS no longer provides road maps there is no way to know whether it is planned or not and when we might see it.   FRS generally doesn't comment on ideas now unless/until they are in a release. 

You can always add your comments and a vote to the idea if you haven't already.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW......... V 1.5.1.70
    SSDR / DAX...... V 1.5.1.152
    CAT................... V 1.5.1.0
    Win10

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.