Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

when will you be able to do rtty split

Larry Davis
Larry Davis Member ✭✭
rtty split

Answers

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Larry,

You can already do RTTY split.  Open a second slice, assign a DAX channel to it and then configure your RTTY program to use the device for the second DAX channel on TX.

There are multiple steps required however...
    1. Open second slice, assign it to be TX
    2. Set DAX channel for the second slice
    3. Via DAX setup, assign the second DAX channel for TX (click on TX label)
    4. Select second DAX device in your RTTY program
    5. Hit the DAX button on SSDR to enable DAX as audio source for TX

You are done.
    Stu K6TU
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

You can also use XIT.  Neither of these workarounds are optimal however. 

What I have been doing is using DM-780 which allows you to split the TX frequency from the RX frequency.  As long as the split is close enough that you can see both frequencies on the DM-780 waterfall, it works.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    the dx station don,t split  3 kc more like 5 to 10
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    another reason we need FSK built in as a mode.  Then just use the FSK Mode slice clone and have the second slice come up with say with a 5K split .  CW Mode cloning creates an identical /clone slice 1khz up and the SSB Mode cloning creates an identical slice up 5Khz from the original..  neat for DXing splits.
  • Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    sounds way too hard thats why i  still have the flex 5000 next to the 6700 much better still on rtty
  • Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    you would think a 8000.00 radio could do split rtty  easy a icom718 can
  • Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    What is hard?  If the station says up 2, all you have to do is put +2000 in the XIT and go for it!   You can even verify you have it set right by watching the pan adapter.  
  • Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    when your running a dx station and you need him youi don,t have time to do that if he the only station on the band you mite

• Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    you try working the ft5zm like that you never work him

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have zero problems running split in RTTY and happily worked FT5ZM split.

Suggest you spend some time practicing and getting familiar with your radio.
    Stu K6TU

PS: Your question has been answered a couple of different ways - signing off this thread.
  • Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    i don,t have a problem running the radio just want what i paid for a split button that all you need

• Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Some people have tendency to put their head in the sand.......split work is currently far from being optimal on Flex 6000....that is simply fact of life...we are hoping for better in the next release....no doubt Flex team knows how to do it in a proper way when the right time comes....FT5ZM in RTTY hmmmm....I also thought I was in their RTTY log but when I went to see on ClubLog it turned out they didnt put me in neither...shame on them :) Even if they did, it would not change clumsy ergonomics of existing split concept,

Tom, 9A6TKS
  • Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    yes tom that all i am talking about that why i still have the 5000 the 6700 will be there one of these days but not yet  just want to get my point out  see ya
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Each one of you who purchased a 6000 series knew exactly where FRS was in development of SmartSDR. You knew it was a work in progress. You were given a roadmap as to when certain features would become available. You made a decision and you laid your money down. If you needed a certain feature but didn't do your own due diligence researching the current feature set before buying, then point to yourself as the source of the problem. You have an amazing radio with advanced capabilities no other amateur radio can match. Celebrate that fact! There are indeed some features which are not available yet, but they are coming. If a feature is not on the roadmap which you think might be useful, make a suggestion to FRS. They are one of the most responsive companies in the business.
  • Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    It is not clear to me why we need a button on the 6xxx rig just because a legacy Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu radio has one.  I can get easier function working split (RTTY or SSB) using two RX on the same band.  I set one speaker on the DX station and the other on the pileup.  Keep to keep in sync with what is going on.  I have less tendency to accidentally TX on the wrong split since the frequencies are laid out on the pan adapter.  If I am calling and he is working split, I simply use XIT and a good antenna.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have no problem whatsoever running RTTY split with my 6700. This radio rocks. I've even now learned how to use AFP effectively on teeny tiny cw signals. Its called RIT with the Flex Knob.
  • Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    it works fine for cw split and ssb  split but rtty split the slice comes up but  you got the dax to deal with now on tx and rx try it in a big pile up

• AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I picked up a 6300 in Dayton and I have to agree, RTTY on the 6k is certainly a poor operating experience.

I've made several contacts using XIT, and that works fairly well (unless your split is >10k). The problem is when you need to go with a greater split. First you have activate your 2nd Rx slice, there's no way to sync it to the main so start typing a frequency. After performing all the steps in K6TU's excellent tutorial above (don't forget to also mute the audio) you've then wasted your Rx slice on what should have been a simple TX Offset button.

Also, since I have a 6300, I can no longer listen for a SSB Dx to come up on a different band while working RTTY wide split. A function that was very easily accomplished on my 5000. 

Since I hate complaining about problems with out at least some idea of how I think they could be solved, I would propose the following options to help with working digital modes on the 6k:

The addition of a VFO-B for Tx on each Rx slice with corresponding A>B and A<>B buttons just like the 1500, 3000, and 5000 (You can tune VFOB without using MultiRX).

Expand the XIT feature, it's already 3/4 of the way there. Eliminate the 10k limit and that would make it a very passable solution even if not optimal. It would eliminate all the DAX configuration and waste of an Rx slice at the very minimum. Ideally this could be also be configured with a single button (like MultiRX) to enable/disable RX if you have a spare slice unused.

The addition of a global Tx slice. We only need one since we only have 1 transmitter. It could be locked to any Rx slice, or be separated for split operation. All DAX Tx channels route to this slice by default. It can be attached (docked?) to a Rx slice, made independent, or synced to a particular Rx slice.

Anyway, those are my suggestions. I'd be happy to talk further about their pros and cons.

-Mike AE0MW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.