Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

4 firewire cards tested

ON4LL
ON4LL Member
edited August 2016 in New Ideas
I have tested some firewire cards ( Windows XP , Windows )

Working
  • DELL 6D906 FireStorm IEEE 51007-9000 3 Port PCI Firewire Card
  • Dynamode Firewire 1394 PCI Card ( VIA chipset )
NOT Working
  • Sonnet Allegro 400 ( Agere chipset )
  • Startech.com 3 port PCI 1934

0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    The most important consideration when choosing a firewire card is the controller chip used by the card. The two preferred manufacturers of controller chips with Flex Radios is Texas  Instruments (TI) and VIA are  the two most qualified manufacturers.

I suppose that there are models from these manufacturers that may not work but you are 99% sure if you go with models using these manufacturers' controller chips.

Be careful specifying a card like "Startech 3 port card" as Startech probably sells 10 different firewire cards, a few with TI chipsets and others that will not work at all. In the US, Startech and Syba sell the most different models and some will work and others will not, but just look for TI or Via chipsets. If they do not say what the chipset is, you usually do not want to buy the card.

• ON4LL
    ON4LL Member
    edited April 2014
    Well that is the thing, the Startech has a Texas instruments chipset but isn't working at all
    This is a new card (60Euro)

Working
    • DELL 6D906 FireStorm IEEE 51007-9000 3 Port PCI Firewire Card (Texas Instruments )
    • Dynamode Firewire 1394 PCI Card ( VIA chipset )
    NOT Working
    • Sonnet Allegro 400 ( Agere chipset )
    • Startech.com 3 port PCI 1934 ((Texas Instruments )
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I was using that card as my "go to" card for a couple of years as it had a TI chip and was almost half the price as other TI-based cards.

I stopped using (and recommending) the card because of its high failure rate, I would guess 30-40% failed within the first 18 months. The failure mode of PCI/PCIe devices is quite devious also, it can draw enough current to cause other devices on the same root device to stop working (and stop appearing in the device manager even though they are built into the motherboard).

I would take it back to the shop you bought it from. If they have sold many,they know its failure-prone.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.