Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

fldigi- after MT63 mode switch, first transmission is garbled, subsequent tx are fine

Eddie Jennings
Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
edited August 2016 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
Hello,
    I have been a VERY satisfied Flex 3000 owner for several years. I am an NMC MARS member- we use Fldigi/Flmsg/Flamp daily.

I've noticed a problem that occurs when I'm switching between MT 63 1K and 2K long. Often the first transmission will be garbled - sounds like skipping samples, while subsequent transmissions are fine.

I've also seen this problem, upon my first transmission with Fldigi. I have applied the recent Fldigi fix- I installed fldigi 3.21.79 and the new powerSDR.xml file. I'm using the legacy 1394 driver. I run Windows 7 Ultimate/64 bit. 

I also use com0com and VAC 4.13.0.5811.  I'm very pleased with the Flex and Fldigi, I use them both nearly every evening for multiple NETS.

Any suggestions will be gladly followed. I have configured my software in accordance with on-line resources, but I'm sure that I may have missed something.

respectfully,
     Eddie Jennings

Comments

• Eddie Jennings
    Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Hello,
        I would like to add some additional information to help troubleshoot. I'm running PowerSDR v2.7.2. 
    The transmission remains garbled throughout the transmission of the entire initial message, no matter how long.
       From the garbled audio and spectral display, it appears as if the signal is low pass filtered 
    to below 1/2 the original BW, sounds like samples are dropped, and is not successfully processed by any receiver.

I  don't remember seeing this problem prior to about a year ago. My detailed settings are:
    Audio:
    Primary: buffer 2048; Sample Rate 96000
    VAC1: Windows Driver WDM-KS; Buffer Size: 2048, Sample Rate 96000, Buffer Latency 0 ms

DSP Buffer Size:
    Phone RX/TX: 256,256
    CW: 2048
    Digital RX/TX: 256.256

CAT: Enable CAT on Port COM17, 57600 Baud, Parity: none, Data: 8, Stop: 1
    PTT: Enable PPT on Port COM 16, DTR, ID as PowerSDR

VAC Control Panel Settings:
    2 Cables
    Up to Auto Worker Threads
    Prio: 24
    Connected Line Source: Line

SR 11025...96000 BPS 8 ... 32 NC 1 ..2
    Max Inst: 2, MS per int: 1, Stream fmt limit: Cable Range, Clock Corr Ratio: 100

Com0Com:  (CAT Port on Flex 17)
    COM 7: emulate baud rate; COM 17: enable buffer overrun

Fldigi: User RigCAT
    Rig Desc File: PowerSDR.xml; Device: COM7
    Retries: 5, Retry Int (ms): 50
    Write Delay (ms): 25l Init Delay (ms) 200
    Baud Rate: 57600
    Stopbits: 1

Toggle DRT for PTT
    and Hardware PTT settings:
    Device: COM6, User DTR

respectfully,
        Eddie Jennings, AJ4OC, NNN0HBO/GBS

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    I'll try to replicate this, and let you know what I find.  Usually I can send/receive MT63 without issues via  Fldigi, PowerSDR, and my Flex 3000.  I have not done it in a few weeks though.  Andy NNN0OBY
  • Eddie Jennings
    Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Thank you Andrew,
         I found a new manifestation of this problem- NOT in Fldigi, but in RMS Express. If the first transmission is garbled, then all subsequent transmissions are an no connection can be made.

I then could simply exit RMS Express and try again, until the first transmission  is not garbled.
    When it system works it works flawlessly, which is most of the time.

Intermittently, I do run across long runs of failure.  I was able to connect and check traffic today.

My Winmor WL2K settings are:
    Radio Model: Flex radios
    Antenna Selection: Default
    USB Digital is checked
    Radio Control Port: Serial COM7, Baud 57600
    PTT Port: Serial COM6, Baud 57600, Enable DTR checked

WINMOR TNC Setup
    WINMOR Capture Device: Line 2 VAC-eb
    WINMOR Playback: Line 1 VAC-df

Any information is appreciated,
         respectfully,
         Eddie Jennings, NNN0HBO, AJ4OC

• Eddie Jennings
    Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Noticed that the status was changed to "Not a Problem"
    This is respectfully still a problem - no resolution has been proposed.
  • Eddie Jennings
    Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I just learned on a MARS net that another Flex 3000 owner is having the same problem using Windows 8 with both Fldigi and RMS Express. 

Any comments, hopefully more informative  than, subsequent outside flagging as "NOT A Problem" are appreciated. "NOT A Problem" is more palpable with a short e-mail or other communication, respectfully.

respectfully,
        Eddie Jennings, AJ4OC, NNN0HBO/NNN0GBS
  • Eddie Jennings
    Eddie Jennings Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Hello,
         Upon reverting back to VAC 4.11 and to the legacy 1394 driver, I have not experienced these problems with Fldigi nor RMS Express. 

Thank you for providing me the forum for my issue and its RESOLUTION. In retrospect, it was not a Flex 3000 but an associated software compatibility problem. I hope this info helps others. 

I use my Flex 3000 almost daily for MARS nets and have since 2009.

respectfully,
        Eddie Jennings, NNN0HBO/GBS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.