Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

remote power on for 6700

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I will soon be setting up a wireless remote green heron device and one of the relays will be setup to ground the remote on RCA connector. When shutting down by opening that connection does the radio do a normal shutdown process just like turning off from the front panel button or is it an immediate shutdown. If the latter, are there any potential problems with shutting down in that manner? Thanks Greg AB7R

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It's just like pressing the front panel button. Works well.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Greg,

The radio does a normal shutdown when the relay is opened - just like hitting the front panel on.off switch.

I use the remote on/off all the time.  Saves me a 800' round trip hike to the radio!

:-)

Stu K6TU
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Great...that's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Stu and George. Have you looked at the Green Heron everywhere wireless devices? I have an order that should be here on Monday and hope to have them installed during the week if the wx and daylight cooperates. Part of the installation is indoors so that won't be a problem.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited May 2020
    Greg,

I haven't used the Wireless Everywhere devices but I've heard they work very well.  If they work anything like the Rt-21 antenna rotor, you will be very happy.  Green Heron makes quality stuff!

Stu K6TU
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    With this setup I will be able to remotely, and wirelessly, control my Hi-Z rx array, six pack antenna switch, band selection on the Quadra (creating a BCD matrix) and an AY rx antenna switch....and the RT-21. I am looking for something like an older Dell Optiplex with Win7 on it to use as a server (it would be left on all the time).
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Try EBay - a friend of mine buys all his PCs on EBay and then reinstalls the software after wiping the disk.

Stu
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    I was trying to find one locally like on craig's list first but not having much luck. There is a 755 I think with a quad E6600 processor, 4G RAM and a 250G drive for $160. Has Win7 installed but it does not come with the disk. I was hoping to find one for around 70-$100. :)
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Greg:

I'm running a couple of Green Heron remotes with great success.  Be sure to get the 63 mw version.  The 1 MW version is rated for 100' but I couldn't get it to run reliably between two locations about 70' apart.  The 63 MW version operates perfectly to the remote that is 70' away and another remote that is 150' away.  The US version of the Green Heron's that puts out 63 MW operates in the 2300-2450 MHz ham band so we can legally run more than Part 15 power.

Greg, what is your call sign.  I want to be able to recognize you in the pileups.

Good luck.

Reg, KD5RB

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Hi Reg. Thanks for the tip. I had lots of emails with Jeff before finalizing the order. All the units I ordered are the dx versions except one that will be in the same room. Looking forward to getting these installed. :) See you in the pile ups. 73 Greg Ab7r
  • kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Recommend trying the RemoteRig 1216H WEB Switch, which does not require a PC and is available remotely via web interface.

73/gus
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I use a Belkin WEMO device controller switch which is far less expensive to start and stop my 6700 via my iPad/iPhone and a second WEMO to reboot my computer remotely.

Works from anywhere in the world.
  • kr4k
    kr4k Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    I use SmartThings.com and a K-wave switch for the same function as WeMo. Good way to cycle power remotely.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.