Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Extremely low audio level has me stumped

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I've spent the day trying to figure out the cause. But no joy.
Extremely low audio output.
I'm watching the Dax Control Panel Channel and the red audio line is pinned and the RX Gain slider is maxed.
Even the strongest cw stations  30 and 40 db over baseline are just copyable in the headsets.
Tried other headsets, and a powered speaker, no joy.
Same Heil Headsets I use with PSDR.

I'm open to suggestions people. What did I do wrong?
I'm a weak signal 160-80 meter cw guy...I can't copy cw by watching the spikes in the panadaptor.

If it's any clue, while the red line in the Dax controller, Audio Streams Slice A is maxed; The red line in the Slice info window is showing S3-4.

I can barely hear my own sidetone.

The funny part of this is, I've only made one qso with the 6K as I've been waiting for software I could use with my contest and dxing software.

Before this upgrade, I could hear fine. Oh well!
Oh well, sure glad I still have my 5K.
I was looking forward to some dxing tonight. As even though I'm 70, I'm the YOUNG-HEALTHY person in my neighborhood and spent most of today clearing my neighbors snow so they can get their cars out. We've been getting hammered.
Oh well, I need a brandy!

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Try resetting your persistence database.  The while pressing the OK button on the front panel, press the power button to start up the radio.  You should see a message indicating that the radio is doing a factory reset.  Let me know if that helped.. 
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    I'm a little unclear what you are trying to do -- DAX is a digital mode interface program and while there are ways to connect this to a set of headphones, DAX purposefully bypasses what you would consider speaker/headphone audio options. For example, L/R controls on the slice, volume level on the slice and side tone are all bypassed for DAX.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have the same problem. Installed 1.1 and made a bunch of contacts listening to the typical beautiful receive audio of the 6500 that I'm accustomed to. Then I noticed that the audio was slowly getting less and less. Tried more gain in the sliders, but ultimately could barely hear the audio in the speaker or the headphones. The signals are normal on the panadapter, but the audio is hardly audible and there is a rumbling noise mixed in with the signals. Rebooted the computer and removed power from the 6500 before retarting it. Problem still there, weak and distorted remains, so I will try the hardware reset tomorrow. If the hardware reset does not solve the problem, what else should we try?
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Oh darn, I used the APF and didn't turn it off before going back to SSB. I wonder if that's the problem?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I am SO with you, Charles! Put that on the 1.1.1 list :-)
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I did read that in the release notes, but unfortunately my short term memory (aka my personal "persistence") is not what it used to be. At least we know what to do when we hear that wierd audio again.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I was trying to work some cw.....I mentioned the DAX Control Panel screen only in that it showed that the slider on Slice A (my 20 meter cw) was indicating max volume. But I could just barely hear the cw in my headphones.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    LOL...I believe by now ALL of us have done the APF thing on SSB.  FRS please disable this automatically when the Mode is other than cw before some of us hurt ourselves...
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    That was it Tim.
    Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.