Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 Power Output For 2 Meters

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is there any information on who can supply a booster amp for 2 meters? A good intermediate amp would be 100 watts, adjustable output. I await this so that I can use the radio on 2 meter EME.

Answers

• Terry, W0VB
    Terry, W0VB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Dave,

I just now saw your question and see that it hasn't been answered.
    When you get setup and running, let's work off the moon using 6700s on both ends.... and repeat what we did using the Flex1000s..... years ago.

Early on I decided that I wanted to use the 6700 directly on two meters - without a two meter transverter.

In July of 2013, a few of us got together, with Steve from Down East Microwave Inc., and defined the requirements of such an amp for the 6700. One that would take 1 mw and produce some serious drive level.... 25 to 75 watts of output.

Steve built such an amp for me - a high powered brick (75 watts out).  Inside the brick is a preamp, sequencer, relays to allow one "antenna connection", and one RF connection for the 6700 XVTR connector..... there's a few other goodies in the box as well, see his specification sheet. 

I happened to visited Steve two weeks ago and he says the amp is available with power output levels from 25 watts to 75 watts.

I have been using the 6700, this DEMI amp, and a grounded grid triode giving me 1,500 watts out since September of 2013....  without problem. 

The setup is:
    - using the 6700 XVTR jack 
    - connected to the brick, 
    - connected to a QRO amp, (grounded grid triode - 1,500 watts out) 
    - connected to the antenna. 

I am COMPLETELY HAPPY with this setup. Been using it on meteor scatter for sometime now.

The other reason for two meters in the radio.... and probably the main reason - is to provide the ultimate I.F. for the UHF bands and above. Transverters for 1,296 Mhz and above.

Remember, the Flex6K panadapter can display over 12 Mhz of signals on the display. Most transverters use the 28 to 30 Mhz frequency as the I.F. ..... which is providing only 2 Mhz of band coverage.

This is one man's configuration that is working extremely well..... AND..... the cost of DEMI's brick is much less than the cost of a good transverter.

Reference:  http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/
    (I have no financial affiliation with DEMI, just a long time customer)

Terry, W0VB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.