Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Numerous network disconnects

DonS
DonS Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Until I switched to the beta I never had a network disconnect, however, now I seem to experience quite a few of them. It seems to occur while using DAX and since I have not really tried anything else besides PSK, I don't know if there is a problem outside of DAX.

Comments

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Don, May I suggest you try connecting the Flex directly to the Ethernet port on your computer and then see if you have disconnects. If all is OK then suspect either your switch or a LAN cable. Only as a reference I have never personally had a network issue from the very beginning. I do use high quality switches and cable. Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    I had a couple as well....did not have any prior to this update. But don't be frustrated...this IS a BETA release and such things can be expected. I have three computers that I can connect with and it seems like I only had the disconnects from the computer running SmartCAT and DDUtil. I did not see any disconnects using my wireless laptop on Win8 from the house on the main shack computer. The DDUtil computer is also running Win8. Shack is on Win7. 73 and Merry Christmas Greg AB7R
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I mentioned in another post that I decided to move to a PC from a MAC using Parallels with Win 7 to determine if the problem was related to operating in a vm environment. I have not experienced a single network disconnect since I moved to a PC. So that means there is possibly a problem with DAX and the vm.
  • Mike K5UX
    Mike K5UX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Don, I would like to echo Mack's comment about connecting the Flex directly to your computer (it's an easy troubleshooting step if you are having connectivity issues). I was on 17 meters earlier today and got a message indicating SmartSDR lost connection to the 6500 (I forgot the exact message, but it was something similar). After a little troubleshooting, I found that my router was the culprit and I simply connected the 6500 directly to my computer. I was back on the air within a few minutes. Mike K5UX
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    This D-Link switch has worked perfectly for me through about 50 releases of SmartSDR software http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/switches/dgs-2208-8-port-10-100-1000-desktop-switch. I've never had a drop on any band on any computer. SmartSDR runs 24X7 on one computer. I do not have significant RFI in my shack. I'm using five of these switches on my wired network serving 20 computers. I also have not had drops using wireless. I do not work for D-Link. I'm not trying to minimize your drops but just trying to point out that the issue may be basically unrelated to SmartSDR and it's best to troubleshoot the root cause(s). 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I would think that running in a VM is the problem more than anything? DAX in its current state pushes 2.2 Mbit/s, which is a fair bit of data. I can see how a VM would get overwhelmed.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    But would that cause distortion in the transmitted signal? Receive is fine.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I am using an 8 port gigi netgear switch and I run one drop to another 8 port gigi switch. On the second switch I have two PCs and the flex 6700. So the only traffic that should be seen is between the flex 6700 and the pc running SmartSDR. All other traffic is dropped unless it is broadcast traffic. I could put wireshark on the pc running SmartSDR and see what shows up. But I should note I have not experienced any network drops since I moved off the vm on the iMAC and onto a PC.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    *shrug* got me there. Applying Occam's razor, a native machine should run better than an emulated one. :)
  • Mark - NU6X
    Mark - NU6X Member
    edited September 2016
    I was having a lot of disconnects with two computers and 6700 on a Linksys 4 port switch. I switched to another Linksys 8 port switch that I had laying around. It solved the problem. To eliminate wiring or poor connections as the cause, I put the original switch back in and the problem returned.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.