Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

An Easy Way to Wire your 6000 for Digital Ops - OUCH!

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I purchased one of the monoprice.com HD15 to BNC Male cables and find that pins 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, & 11 are all internally grounded! This isn't going to work with the 6700 ACC unless I cut these pins out. Has anyone else had experience with this?

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Dave, I'm not surprised about the grounds. The typical video / audio cables for this connector also have shields for the video and audio lines. And the shields are typically connected together inside the HD15 connector. One of the lines, pin 4 is sometimes also grounded and grounding pin 4 will key the transmitter for CW - not good. I built an interface to key the 6700 from the DTR pin on a PC com port and wanted to have access to all 15 pins on the accessory connector. I used a HD15 extension cable that didn't bond any of the lines together. The interface box allowed me to pick off any of the data lines needed. You could also use one of the "breakout" HD15 connector boards. I have one but didn't use it. I preferred the more standard looking connector to plug into the back of the radio, so built an interface in a project box. I only needed to connect to a DB9 for the COM port but you could connect RCA connectors, or others as needed. The full description of the interface is on the Yahoo forum in the files section but here is the cable info below. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    I have a couple of the Winford Engineering HD15 breakout boards if anyone needs one. Winford also sells the straight through HD15 cables AND an HD15 Y cable. 73 Greg
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Greg, I got one of the straight thru extension cables from Winford for my interface. Simply cut it in half and wired it up. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Tim K8XS
    Tim K8XS Member
    edited November 2013
    Al, Any reason why you didn't get the male to male cable. Then when you cut it in half, you have two male cables? Or am I missing something? 73, Tim K8XS
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tim, No good reason. I bought 2 of the extension cables figuring I might want to extend the location of the interface box at some point. And also thought I might want a female connector at some point. But I could have just bought one cable of either type for this immediate project. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.