Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Log periodic feedback

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am weighing either a Broadband Hex Beam or a Tennadyne T-8. I have read with interest the comments form Hex owners as they match up with their 6000 series rigs. How many of you are using any version of Log Periodic with your 6500/6700? Which model? What has been your experience? What performance are you getting? Do you need to "tweak" the SWR with the tuner? How high do you have it and on what type of support? How about ease if assembly, installation & maintenance. So far I am leaning toward the T-8 or perhaps T-10. The T-8 isn't much more than a 6 band Hex, but takes up a bit more room, requires more tower and larger rotor. Sorry if this is too far Off Topic, but I am looking for the perfect antenna match for my "Big Kahuna" 6500.

Answers

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have run the tennadyne log for 7 years. great antenna and with the flex 6500 it will be great, I have run a quadra with the log without having to use the tuner. i run the Alpha 8410 and it never faults. I run the T 6 and the 8 is the same on swr.
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'm using a Tennadyne T-6 with a Flex 6700. It works great. Mine is mounted on a quadrapod on the roof of my one story house. I can tilt the quadrapod over and work on the antenna while standing on the roof. It's up about 35 feet. I use a Yaesu G-800DXA rotator. The mechanical design of the Tennadyne is simple and very strong, so you won't have to spend a lot of time every year fixing things that break or fall off as is the case with many other antennas. It's SWR is well within less than 2:1 on 20 - 10; as a result any tweeking with the ATU is very quick. I also load it on 6 with the ATU; I understand the pattern is more a cloverleaf on 6, but it gets out well. Save yourself a lot of time and effort by simply using the "Collins choke" Tennadyne can supply. There's a great deal of "religious" argument about chokes/baluns etc. for the Tennadyne. I tried them all including feeding it with open wire line, really. Nothing came close to using the Tennadyne supplied Collins choke and affixing the coax to the bottom boom all as instructed by Tennadyne. I feed it with LMR400. You'll like it. -- Jim W5HFS.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.