Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

will my GPS work with the antenna inside in my basement?

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited January 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I just **** the connector on and ran the cable/antenna as high as I could. But when I start the 6K, and smartcat starts it doesn't show any indication that it was detected. Any ideas? Should I move the antenna outside, into the clear?

Answers

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I doubt it from the basement... Will work here on a window sill facing south. You probably need an outside antenna. Jim K4JAF
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited September 2013
    Not likely, there are 24 birds + in space orbit, with the antenna in the clear your antenna can see 12 + or - a few depending on the topology at any given time. However, for the most part the GPS signals will not **** most structures. You want to place the antenna so it has the best view of the horizon you can get in all 4 directions if you can achieve this you will not have any problems. However, for the most part there should be 3 to 4 birds overhead so if you can achieve a view from 45 deg to 90 deg in 2 to 3 directions, you should be good
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks to all, I managed to fish the cable through the PVC pipe out my basement wall that has all my antenna coax. Used the excess cable to get the antenna up as high as I could. Sure enough, 'Radio Setup' now reports my location. Sat Tracked 112 Sat Visible 17 My house is NOT moving or at least it's moving at 0 kts. And...the UTC Time it reports agrees with Digital mode Time Sync program. I think there is a way to sync that time with my router/switch network. But that's for another day. Thank you

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.