Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X setup on aFlex 6700???

Options
N4AB
N4AB Member ✭✭
edited August 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am trying to setup for JSJT-X operation with my 6700. So far: WSJT-X installed and working great in receive mode. CAT control of the frequency and frequency readout working well. Transmit mode working well and data is being sent to the Flex acce port Line In. Now for the problem: The Flex PTT port wants to see a low (ground) to key the transmitter and WSJT-X sets the DTR and RTS lines to a high state when it goes into transmit, and a low state during receive mode which is 180 degrees wrong (transmitter comes on during the receive mode--not good). The "Stomp to send" switch also works on this port and works well (down = ground). The RTTY program MMTTY uses this same PTT port but in its setup there is a selection for inverted logic which allows for either High or Low logic which works out great. But I have not found a (easy) way to do the logic reversal on WSJT X. Has anyone setup their systems for this WSJT mode and would you please guide me through this setup problem.

Answers

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Dear Al, I have successfully used WSJT-X with my Flex-6700. I am currently using v. 1.1.1 r3520. You should be able to get PTT to key the Flex via CAT. When you first set it up, you might have to close and restart WSJT-X to get it to work for some reason, but that may be because r3520 is still beta software. I would be pleased to give you a call to talk through all of my settings if you send me your telephone number via a private email address (ed.wilson@ymail.com). I have unlimited long distance service here. Ed, K0KC
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    When using RTS/DTR as a keying signal from a ham modem program to key a radio, it is usually assumed that there is a keying transistor between the RTS/DTRR signal and the radio. The transistor provides isolation between the ( +- ) RTS/DTR signal, inverts the sense of the signal and provides an open collector to key the radio ( + to ground ). In a rare case, a directly a RTS/DTR signal connected directly to the radio could damage the radio and/or RS-232 signal. For WSJT-X you could use 'PTT VIA CAT' to key the 6K and avoid the RTS/DTR problem. AL, K0VM
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am using PTT via CAT without any issues.
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. I'm up and running with both JT9 and JT65. I put together a inline inverter circuit a couple of days ago and that works fine. What I was looking for was maybe a software fix in either WSJT-X or the PTT logic in the Flex. This is what they have in MMTTY. The radio is new and I just started on operating WSJT modes so I am learning a lot and overcoming a lot of self generated problems. Everytime I try to do something with CAT it turns into an all night bucket of worms. So I try to avoid that so that I don't start one project and then have to solve a new problem before I can fix the problem I started with (very frustrating). Thanks Again, Al N4AB
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    AL, In your original post, You implied that you have frequency control from WSJT-X to the Flex.. All you need to to additonal to get PTT VIA CAT is WSJT-X > SETUP > Configuration Then set PTT Methode = CAT .. Then you should have PTT via CAT working. AL, K0VM
  • Al W6HGF
    Al W6HGF Member
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Al, I can not figure the CAT out here. On WSJT-X v1.2 r3653 I only see the option for Flex 1000. Is this the one you use for the 6700? I have not been successful in getting a connection to CAT. I also use Fldigi and it works just fine using com4. Could you explain in some detail how you got setup please. Al W6HGF
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This is what I'm using successfully.
  • Al W6HGF
    Al W6HGF Member
    edited September 2013
    Options
    K6OZY, Thanks, that did it. I did not know TS-2000 was the key. Al W6HGF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.