Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Band Plans

Options
2»

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have managed to stay within applicable subbands since the implementation of incentive licensing in 1968. It’s a non-issue.

• ab1do
    ab1do Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Len. Guess those "really cool visual band plan indicators" are just like Fusion: always 10 years away. Hopefully it won't be that bad.

Nice to know I didn't miss anything,

Joe, AB1DO
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

There are other ways... In my homebrew TeensyMaestro project, I have coded the US band plans for the 160 m through 33 cm bands for 5 license classes (Novice - Extra). If you go outside the band plan for your license class, it pops up a 5 second spot on SmartSDR - ** Out_Of_Band **

The band plans and license classes are configurable for other countries. Mike, M0MDS made the suggestion.

It does not prevent transmission, it just gives a nice visual warning. It is especially easy to transmit in the Canadian part of the 20 m phone band that is CW/digital for US amateurs. It is not fancy or sophisticated, but it works.

This could easily be ported to any platform, including a Windows .NET program running in the background.

• ab1do
    ab1do Member ✭✭
    Options
    Len,
    nice project! I guess my point is not so much that it is hard to do or can't be done (the MAC version proves it can be integrated nicely and cleanly into SSDR). I find it a little baffling that with Windows accounting for some 70% of operating systems (probably higher among HAMs), it is only available on the MAC version. Given everything else that is going on in SSDR, this is not exactly rocket science.

Interesting thing is that the images shown on the smartSDR home page seem to indicate that it is available in Windows. Guess someone just took some artistic liberty there.

73 de Joe, AB1DO
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Its things like this I miss on the Flex. Small things that should be easy for them to add.

Would love a checkbox that said ham bands only. Grey out the General coverage stuff. Stop at band edges. Be able to add your license class and have a band plan show up on the Panafall.

Nice that FRstack adds a beep at band edges. Be nice if Flex took it a little further.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Rich, I recently published the FlexRepeaterSpots Windows app. It has the ability to post "permanent" spots as band edge markers, net markers, repeater markers, etc.

It also has an out of band indicator based on license class. The indicator uses spots with a 5 second lifetime to warn you that you are out of band. There is a menu item to turn this on and off.

The app runs in the background. Once you start it, you can minimize it. As long as your Flex is powered up and SmartSDR or a Maestro is connected, you are all set.

Not quite as cool as what you are looking for, but it might get you by.

Check this Community under the FlexRepeaterSpots thread for a link to my GitHub.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.