Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Toggle Audio Between Slices

Richard, N7HX
Richard, N7HX Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I can't find a way to toggle audio between slices other than using your mouse to adjust the slider on each slice (not very convenient). Having a way to toggle audio between the slices sure would be nice. If I was monitoring two slices for example, using one mouse click or a keyboard key to turn one slice on and the other off sure would make life easier. I would hope this is on the front burner.
3 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sort of like we can hit +TAB and cycle through a series of windows on our computers, there ought to be a way to cycle through various slices with a simple key combination, a Fn Key or some other definable shortcut or mouse button on the SSDR. Also are there going to be other keyboard shortcuts, such as +RT/LT arrow for tuning on the active slice?
  • Richard, N7HX
    Richard, N7HX Member
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the right click hint, it works. Hope to see the keyboard command operating in the not to distant future.
  • Bill - K7UOP
    Bill - K7UOP Member
    edited August 2013
    Maybe toggle an option for audio to follow the Active Slice. When checked, all slices except the active one would be muted. You could manually un-mute one or more other slices if you wanted. Manually un-muted (is that a word?) slices would stay un-muted when different active slices are selected. A Master Mute button would mute all slices. Clicking on a slice would make it active again.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This could serve the same function as an A/B VFO button found on most other transceivers. It would be a very valuable addition for me.

Is it on the list?  Thanks!
  • Rick K2XT
    Rick K2XT Member
    edited September 2015
    Every transceiver since transistors were invented has had a VFO A/B function, and "A >B" function. This idea of muting one receiver and unmuting the other is extremely cumbersome. There haven't been any dxpedition pileups since I got my 6300 but I can imagine trying to use a second slice receiver to find a spot in the middle of a pileup would be very awkward, almost useless.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    FRSTACK has a very nice feature that mutes all but the active slice. It also can be set to move TX to the selected active slice.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/frstack-1-4-7-adds-scanning-band-edge-beep-band-use...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rick, I have been using two slices to work split DX pileups on a regular basis.
    Listen to the DX Operator on Slice 'A'
    Listen to the pileup on Slice 'B'
    Set the balance on Slice 'B' all the way to the right.
    Leave Slice 'A' in the middle or shift partly or all the way to the left.
    Each slice can have filters, AGC-T, volume and balance points set individually.

It makes it easy to listen and see who the DX station just worked, and to detect his pattern - (Is he moving slowly up the band with each contact, moving down the band, or hopping around at random picking whatever call he gets from his CW Skimmer?)

Once I detect where he is likely to be, I simply shift my transmitter to that frequency and go for it.  It sounds a little confusing at first, but once you have done it a few times, it is easy.  The flex 6000 is the easiest way to work a split pileup effectively that I have ever used, because it combines multiple excellent receivers with superb graphic display of the spectrum surrounding the DX station and pileup.  You can't beat it for CW or RTTY.  It works very well on phone, too.  The trick is to train your brain to listen in stereo.  Headphones are a plus.

Is this what you meant?  Or are you referring to another problem finding a spot in a pileup?

Ken - NM9P
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thanks for the ideas. I added "un-mute active slice" and "set active slice to transmit" to my personal companion app that runs alongside SmartSDR. 

The API really makes it easy to add simple features to the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.