Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ability to select favorite GEN Band via Menu

K1UO Larry
K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Why was the GEN button removed from the SSDR Band Selection Menu? It was handy to quickly go to the BCB to check Lowband RX antenna operation... plus now that persistence is available it would be desirable to return to a favorite BCB Mode, channel and filter setting when the Gen Band is selected.This would be an inconvenience to set up inside one of the Ham Bands all the time.

Answers

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Having a GEN Band would allow setting up a favorite SW station, BCB freq for Lowband antenna testing or even VLF work without upsetting the stored freq,band,filter, mode settings of the defined Ham Bands. Could someone from Flex comment if this is 'coming back' please.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I do agree that I missed the general just for the sake of going there with some persistence as we have it now. I know when we have memories it will not be an issue.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have used GEN for LF, MF ham bands and also SWL. What about a MEM button too? Andrew de VK5CV
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    Here is the issue. The "GEN" band has no standard definition like the 20m ham band in regards to international usage. So in the interim we have removed the "Gen" band. This is fundamentally different in SmartSDR as compared to PowerSDR as far as the internal workings. One of the fundamental internal building blocks in PowerSDR is the concept of a "band". In SmartSDR all a band really consists of is an arbitrary frequency range. So while it looks the same on the outside, it is not on the inside. In the future, we will be having internal discussions how "bands" and memories will work with the FLEX-6000 and interact with each other. I suspect that user definable "bands" may become a feature in SmartSDR in the future, but we have a lot of other things to address between now and then.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tim, I like the idea of "user definable" bands, complete with "band stacking registers" of a sort. Example... one could have a band definition form where the user could set upper and lower pan limits for the initial pan, as well as initial slice frequency(s), mode, filter, AGC, preamp, etc. (or use the last frequency used or saved on that "band.") You could allow three or four band stacking registers (or allow the user to specify how many in the definition form). then multiple hits of the "Band" button would toggle through the different preset band segments as per the definition form. For the "GEN" band, the user could define several band segments as above, perhaps being given the option of additional band definitions for this special button. As far as memories.... Individual memories could be utilized through a pull-down or pop-up list, or better, via a separate dockable/pinable panel that would have up/down buttons that would allow the user to scroll or toggle through a variety of memories. Banking or folders could be used to assist in sorting lists of "memories," which could essentially be handled the same way as the "Bands" -- storing slice frequency, pan upper & lower limits, mode, et. al. but in this case, the initial slice frequency(s) would be fixed according to the definition stored or edited. It would be especially nice if such a list could be edited and/or imported/exported as a Spreadsheet, CSV or text file or some other easy to edit document format in order to make large memory lists more manageable.... and sharable! Just a little grist for the mill. (for when it is time to discuss it)
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim, would it be possible to inhibit TX when the GEN Band button was selected??
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new idea topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: Defining Bands and Band Stacking
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Larry it isn't that simple. TX is already inhibited outside of the ham bands. It related to band persistence and what frequency ranges define a "band". This is well defined and basically overlaps nicely for hams based on the IARU defined band plans. It is not so well defined for other "bands". We chose to remove the "GEN" button until we make a decision on how to handle non-ham bands in the software. It is just a temporary change.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Got it Tim..thanks.. Im OLD..I like to think simple :-) Too many years of deep analysis/ troubleshooting have burned me out!
  • RogerG
    RogerG Member ✭✭
    In the TX Band Settings, on all the Bands have a check on the column titled RCA TX1...on the row titled GEN I did not place a check under RCA TX1...and my amp was not keyed......when I placed a check on the row titled GEN and column RCA TX1, I was able to key the amp. I only found this out after several experiments. 90 percent of my operation is on SHARES frequencies. On the row titled GEN I have a RF PWR and Tune PWR value other than that nothing else is checked except the column titled RCA TX1. Have a 6400 and run V3.4.24. Tim, if you are reading...this...I trust there is a reason why I am experiencing this.....while I am here a fellow SHARES and MARS operator in CO with his 6700 is experiencing the same issue. Regards, Rog, WB8NDC/NNB5UX
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

SHARES and MARS are out out amateur bands, therefore you need to use the checkbox for General.

Dave wo2x

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭

@RogerG, I assume (if you have the 6600/M) that you have the extended transmit filter board and have received and run the new TURF file executable from Flex to fully open up your radio? Once my 6700 TURF file was running I had all bands open.

• RogerG
    RogerG Member ✭✭
    John: When I ordered the Flex 5400 (not the M) Flex performed the mods for general coverage for both transmit and receive before shipping to me.
  • RogerG
    RogerG Member ✭✭
    John: Shucks....made a typo....I own the Flex 6400 not the Flex 5400(not the M)......sorry.
  • RogerG
    RogerG Member ✭✭
    David: Thank you. I read your entry. What I cannot figure out is where in the manual did you learn this?

Rog
  • David Decoons, wo2x

It is to me common sense.

Traditional transceivers when opening them up for MARS it was known as “general coverage transmit”. You were the able to operate outside amateur bands.

Since the TX Band Setting table has entries for each amateur band, the general row must be for frequencies outside amateur bands. If it were for general coverage receive only there would be no need for it.

Just how I would interpret it.

73 Dave wo2x

• RogerG
    RogerG Member ✭✭
    David: Thank you for your entry. Apparently, I don't have common sense..which is why I asked the question and you have not answered it. I am not interested in an interpretation. Allow me one more time--where in the manual will it answer my question please. Thank you in advance, Rog, WB8NDC
  • David Decoons, wo2x

It does not.

Any transmit frequency not in an amateur band would be covered by the GEN settings.

• RogerG
    RogerG Member ✭✭
    David: Thank you for your reply.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.