Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WriteLog works very well in SO2R with 6700 even with Maestro and in a remote set up!

Options
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi!
After lots of testing (6700) and very good support from Wayne W5XD I can say WriteLog works very well:
1. With new WL drivers you may use Maestro direct with WL.I plan to make a tutorial for this. 
2. WL.s new contest simulator is awesome - do contest practicing on PC before going "live" (see previous YouTube I posted).
3. Previuously reported problem with split audio also works after adding this string to the ini file 
[Rigs] Flex2ndRadioHpControlEnable=0
4. WL allows rapid slice switching - even more smooth than N1MM in my opinion. 

So now we have two advanced SO2R contest loggers for Flex-6000 series. I have tested WL in a non PC remote contest set up (www.sm0hrp.se) and I am very satisfied. 
73s Kari 

Comments

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Kari why did you break away from DXLOG?  There seems to be a groundswell of cw operators that are using DXLOG now.. I am hoping to have N1MM, WL and DXLOG docs all accessible to the flex community.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Well I cannot get it stable for SO2R over remote any more. Especially advanced SO2R. The community seems to be very low activity too. Sorry to say :)
  • Neal - K3NC
    Neal - K3NC Inactive Employee ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Wayne has focused on getting the 6000 series working well with Writelog. For some of us, its the DNA that we use to evaluate all other loggers. especially rtty guys. I use N1MM+ when contesting at NR4M but at home I use WL.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I too us WL at home for contesting. Been using it forever. At NX6T we used CT until no more DOS computers available then migrated to Wintest because it looks closest to CT Old habits die slowly.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Loggers are like religion for their users.  It takes years to memorize shortcut keys, setup nuances, etc.  and each one is different.  Once someone settles on a logger, they will keep with it for years and sometimes go kicking in screaming when they simply have to change for a technology shift and or lack of development support.  Other than OTRSP, (finally a standard) each logger has their own ways of doing things.   Its important that the top loggers work with the 6000 series.  Right now that is N1MM+, WL, DXlog (and a lesser case for WinTest that is on its way out due to lack of dev support, despite N6TV struggling to keep it afloat, a testament to the hoops contesters will jump through to keep their logger relevant).
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    That is the truth!

I have been trying for years to break into a new logging program like Log4OM, DXBase, DXLog, and many others, some written by members of this forum. 

But for my day-to-day logging, I can't seem to move away from ACLog - it is simple, powerful enough, and I am used to it.

For contesting, however, I moved to N1MM+ a few years ago and I am very happy with it.  I am still learning new stuff, but have finally gotten the hang of it.  It would take some serious effort to convince me to move to something else, just because of the work involved in retraining my **** fingers!

Ken - NM9P
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Interesting inputs. Well I am pretty new into this. Started remote contesting three years ago with K3s and Remote Rig boxes. .This worked very well. And I guess that can be little bit different. You really want something stable and robust. That’s why I never could use a remote PC as another big risk factor. Now SO2R is a must to compete but I see slice timing issues with the loggers when rapidly switching slices on different bands. Talking about contest loggers I see that WL has over a year put enormous efforts in integrating it to Flex-6000 series including SmartLink. Now it works very well. I believe their slice timing is among the best. And you get an impressive simulator to it. N1mm is not bad at all and they seem to make updates every 2nd week. Impressive. . But sometimes slice timing issues happen. DXLog have not done any work at all for a year now with respect to FlexRadio as I see it. Their SO2R functionality with Flex works poorly. Last release was in November last year but nothing with respect to FlexRadio. Which is a pity. I know Ranko 4O3A made a strategic partnership with DXLog but I have not seen anything concrete coming out of it. If you do not do remote contesting or SO2R my inputs must not be valid I must confess. On the other hand most people seem to work remotely more and more or start when they see the benefits with FlexRadio. 73s Kari SM0HRP
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

I second your comment about loggers being a religion..

I remember when our last DOS computer died and we had to drag Dennis N6KI away from using CT at NX6T.  NX6T settled on WINTEST because it was closest to CT and Free.- Free was not a rational reason to choose it considering the tens of thousands of dollars of equipment at NX6T. 

However I stayed with WL at home because I was used to it.  Still can't get my head around N1MM+ being any better than WL for my purposes.  Definitely a religion of inertia.

• Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Kari, this is a very interesting comment.  Could you describe what you mean by "slice timing"?  I believe I own a license to WL so I will test it out for myself, but as someone who is new to Flex and new to SO2R it is interesting to consider the nuances. 

Matt NQ6N
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi Matts, 
    Here is the thread: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/is-flex-6700-rapid-enough-when-switching-bands-in-s...

I still notice this anomaly when changing bands even when PC and radio on same LAN and Gigabit Switches in between. Yesterday when working remotely the Russian mini contest I have even seen a new phenomena. When changing slices between A (ANT1) and B (ANT2) with N1MM I often miss the audio from the new slice. Like Flexradio wants to "settle in" before do a fast switching. My TX delay is brought up to 250 ms but sill get this happening. My latency is 25 ms.  
    One thing is for sure with new versions of SDR and N1MM every month or so you never know what is the cause. 
    73 Kari SM0HRP 
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You are right -  WL is as good as N1MM. And I get the feel from the reflector that N1MM has a lot of legacy users "bombarding" them with help requests. Flex users not that much as I can see. But Wayne at WriteLog very helpsome and gives almost instant feedback and frequent updates of which several uiquely for FlexRadio. Kudos to Wayne.  
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Most of the top loggers are quite good.  I personally have always had trouble wrapping my head around the ergonomics of WL, after using N1MM for 10 years. :-).  but I always try and remain open to what works best with my current environment.  I do have a WL license.  and a Wintest license.. and a dxlog license..  sigh. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Bob, KQ2M told me he still used CT up to the other day... for all you know he might still be! He also has a whole bunch of manual coax switches and doesn't automate anything... yet kicks ****!
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have actually printed the whole manual over 485 pages but now after reviewing it, I noticed 2 things, the manual is lacking a table of contents ... cant find info on what I want ... and I have been unable to find out whether write log will work for general logging, in other words can I add a field for the qso stations location, operator name etc. This may be like using an AR15 to shoot a squirrel ... it looks like its overkill for what I need.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Why do you not you use the "search" function in Adobe? 
    Then I must admit that the manual is not 100 % update. More actual matters can be found on the WL support forum. 
    What are you looking for?  
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

I was looking for a general logging program currently I use Excel and keep track of the contact including name, location, distance, direction, power out, power used, day, date, time, frequency, band, signal, mode, antenna used, rig used, and callsign.

Writelog from what I see does not have the flexibility to include that data or be configured that way unless I just haven't been able to find it in the documentation.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Consider DXLab suite for general logging duties.  It works quite well and also integrates via API.  Its complex as it is a suite of closely integrated applications but it works real well for DXing duties.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have made a video showing some tweaks that must be made to get WL into two slices only. It is not completely ready yet. However, for those who are in a hurry send me an email and you will get access to the YouTube video. My email is found on the Flex Community or QRZ.COM. 

Joe AB5OR, part of the alpha team, is also testing (he got the video as well) and I assume will soon be full of knowledge on how to accomplish SO2R with WL from a broader Flex perspective.   

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.