Windows 10 update #1709

• Problem
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Solved
Three separate occurrences of the very large Windows 10 Creators update #1709 breaks the DAX drivers. One system running v1 SmartSDR and 2@ running V2 all had DAX drivers break following the update. Reinstalling SmartSDR fixed the problem.
Photo of Dave - WB5NHL

Dave - WB5NHL

• 275 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 400 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Yes - both Creator's updates have broken the DAX drivers for me and required reinstall.  Am I surprised - no, it's MS after all . . .
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 858 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes

When you reinstalled did you do a COMPLETE uninstall or something less drastic?

Jim, K6QE

Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 400 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
I use Revo Uninstaller and do a complete (Revo) uninstall.  Seems to work fine for me.  I uninstall both SSDR and VSP.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 838 Posts
  • 205 Reply Likes
Revo doesn't take much more time than the official method, and takes less time than if you have to do it twice.

I thought I had managed to avoid the Windows update fail with their latest creators update, but turns out the I/Q streams were wrecked. So I just did the Revo process and all is working again.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
No need to export profiles.  They are stored on the radio.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
And all you need to do is manually uninstall and reinstall the DAX driver.  Uninstalling SmartSDR is not necessary either
https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 747 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
I tried to remove and re-install DAX drivers but DAX failed to work properly.  Next I did a complete uninstall of SmartSDR and all associated apps.  After reboot I did a fresh install of SmartSDR but the darn DAX was still screwed up.  I couldn't get any of my digital programs to use the TX-Stream via DAX Audio TX.  I ended up screwing around for over an hour.   Finally I just so happened to set "DAX Audio TX" to be the "Default Communications Device" within the Playback tab under Sound.   This took care of it.

It seems none of my digital apps can address "DAX Audio TX" directly.  Regardless of what TX audio device is selected, audio will only go to a DEFAULT COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE.  

Is anyone else experiencing this same issue or it is it unique to only me?

I'm running the latest version of SmartSDR and the Windows update I received today was "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709".
Photo of kr4k

kr4k

• 73 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Had same issue. Had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall. Now works.
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 579 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
I've come to expect major Windows updates to break DAX, and like Duane, I use Revo anytime I do an uninstall to clean off absolutely everything Flex-related before I reinstall.  It's quick and thorough and has always solved the problems for me.
Photo of David

David

• 287 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Curious. The last couple of major MS updates I have not had the normal SSDR issues forcing it to be uninstalled and reinstalled. This on a desktop and laptop.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Couldn't resist posting an oldie...if Flex was a car manufacturer:
  • For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
  • Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
  • Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason.  You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.
  • Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
  • Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3562 Posts
  • 1429 Reply Likes
Cute attempt at humor

If it were not so obviously PLAGARIZED from an almost identical critique of MIcrosoft. Published several years ago.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
If it wasn't so obvious that the intro words make it clear it's an old one.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3562 Posts
  • 1429 Reply Likes
I see you added the first line after the original was sent
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 528 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
If it were a pro football game the statement would have it been called back behind the line of scrimmage on a foul call for unnecessary roughness.
So...
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 293 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
I wonder why only SSDR breaks with new Windows updates and nothing else does.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 838 Posts
  • 205 Reply Likes
My Windows 7 SSDR install has never suffered any problem at all. Perfectly starts and operates every time. I trust it.

My Windows 10 install is botched by many updates.

If SSDR was the only program that was messed up by updates, it would speak to Flex making bad software, but other programs are messed up by Windows updates as well.

So it is incorrect to say that nothing else breaks, I spend alot of time making people's computers work again, and most W10 problems are based on fixing drivers that Microsoft decides need replacement. Windows 10 is perhaps not a panacea in Operating systems, at least it is better than Windows 8.

So FlexRadio is in the same boat as many other programs. A good program on a brittle operating system. 
Photo of Ned K1NJ

Ned K1NJ

• 303 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
   All of the above.  Have spent too much time with my "back up" win-10 machine
updating, installing/uninstalling, on and on.  A couple of weeks ago it bricked
itself from a background upgrade and I had to resort to a desperation USB
re-install of win-10 itself.
                        I had almost become a believer.
  My win-7 machine just runs.  I've added SSD's to replace hard drives
and replaced video cards with faster ones. It always seems to work in
spite of my interventions.

Ned,  K1NJ
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 529 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
@Ned,
My Win7 pro machine was built maybe 5 or 6 years back. I also added an SSD.
Never an issue with Wíndowa updates. I also set it to notify me when updates are available then I decide when the update will occur certainly not during a contest or when I am chasing DX.
In fact I may build a new replacement Win7 machine soon. I have no desire to run SSDR on a Win10 machine.
I do own a laptop with Win10 only for leisure web browsing and writing our club web pages and newsletter but it has mostly MS products installed so go figure it never has an issue. I choose my battles.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 923 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Same here, Clay. Windows7 never made any problems.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 529 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
You know it Alex so I figure about the time MS stops service to Win 7 they may actually have tamed the Win 10 beast.
So Win 7 for the foreseeable future.
Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 400 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
It’s either VSP or DAX that breaks for me, not SSDR proper. But to be sure fixes get registered properly, I just do a full uninstall and reinstall. It only takes a few minutes. The big updates also corrupt my photo scanner drivers, so it’s not just Flex that is affected. After all, we all are beta testers for MS so we shouldn’t be surprised.
(Edited)
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
The perfect reason for purchasing a 6600M.  I want to talk on the radio, not deal with Microsoft any more than absolutely necessary.  My head hurts from banging it on the wall from normal day to day living.  Microsoft only makes it worse..
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 293 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Is the 6600M front panel the same, or nearly the same as my Maestro? If it is, it runs SmartSDR under Windows 10 Embedded. There is no escape from Microsoft.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2968 Posts
  • 651 Reply Likes
Yes as you said Windows embedded.,It does not go through the same updates as you home PC does,,it is very secure.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 838 Posts
  • 205 Reply Likes
My problem is that I really like having that big computer screen and all of the controls that the full SSDR program gives you. 
Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 238 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Agree with Michael. These latest MS updates seem to disrupt the computer operation unnecessarily. After my last Win 10 update - I lost my Dell touch pad scrolling. I also lost the correct driver for my Full HD display. Took me two days to get it back to normal.
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
My understanding its a form of Microsoft only updateable by Flex.  No having Mr Gates update Microsoft at his whim and fancy.  Probably 50% or more of the problems discussed here appear to me to be Microsoft related.  I just choose not to have it interfere with my working (playing according to my XYL) on the radio.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2968 Posts
  • 651 Reply Likes
That is right, the only updates are Flex updates. I am still on Win 7, I do not have my flex computer connected to the internet, never an update, and I have not had a glitch in years. None...
I have another computer that I do all my online stuff on, it is a Linux computer using Linux Mint, It is a full stand alone operating system that replaces Windows. a beautiful thing it is.
Photo of Tim Ellam

Tim Ellam

• 231 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes

Interestingly enough when I did the 1709 update today it fixed an intermittent problem I was having with the Flexcontrol! I did the update after closing out of DAX and CAT and had no issues.

Tim VE6SH

Photo of Steven G1XOW

Steven G1XOW

• 282 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Pretty sure there was a new "feature" in v2 that was supposed to fix this problem.
(Edited)
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
When windows 10 updates I usually lose about half of the stored passwords for things like the weather, Netflix, etc.  What is a good source for windows 7
Photo of Matt NQ6N

Matt NQ6N

• 91 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
After encountering some fairly significant bugs and compatibility issues with many programs I have stopped using Windows 10 Creator updates, and stick with only the mainstream builds that are available through the normal windows update mechanism.  

Matt NQ6N
(Edited)
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 747 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
I agree Matt but this was a "feature update" not one of the Creator updates.   Everyone is getting this.
Photo of Matt NQ6N

Matt NQ6N

• 91 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Ahh, ok, I think 1709 may have been the build that caused me trouble during the beta period.