Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Win 10 Update - No Problems

Options
k3Tim
k3Tim Member ✭✭✭

With some of the users posting problems with Win-10 update breaking things I've experienced the opposite without any problems.  The 'big' update a few weeks back did break the VSP driver but an uninstall/re-install of the VSP (only) fixed that. Total time to fix / debug was 2 minutes thanks to the helpful folks who lead the way and made note of it here.
Over the past two Tuesdays, updates have been applied and these went smoothly.

_..--
TiM

Comments

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Don't worry, I used to have no problems either, Then a whole litany of problems happened within a few weeks.  I'm upgrading all my computers to Windows 7.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I saw exactly the same Tim with the 10 aniv update. VSP needed a reinstall however I did it via a complete SSDR reinstall. SSDR runs perfectly once again even with subsequent win 10 updates. It appears that the anniversary version used a series of updates vice an all inclusive update. Finally, in both our cases I think the easier fix could have been simply right clicking VSP then selecting repair (?) . I can not recall exactly, but I think that might have been the easiest of fixes. Regardless, SSDR is once again as solid as a rock with win 10.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I think the repair of VSP would have worked (as Cal commented). I checked the Apps & Feature in the control panel to do the repair but the option wasn't available. Instead, I should have went directly to the VSP installer and right-clicked / repaired. Then it probably would have worked.

My guess is Win 10 Anniv installed new drivers and transferred" existing drivers and managed to mangle VSP. Not a big deal and easily fixed.

SDR and Maestro also solid here.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Suggestion:
    How about inserting the version number and the date  of "ALL the SOFTWARE." that your are referring to?
    Thank you
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    By the way Tim, 
    This is not only referring to you, but to all that leave this minor suggestion out. I can not read what is in your mind yet!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The software versions are SSDR 1.84 and Windows 10 Anniversary plust latest two patches. Stated differently it's the latest s/w available for SSDR / Win-10 available as of 01-Sep-2016.  

Does that help?

Tim

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Must be patch Tuesday...

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194798)) installed without causing any problems at this station.  

TimP
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    WHOOT!!!
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There is no "patch Tuesday" or any particular day any more.  Patches roll as they are released.  This is a paradigm change that came about with W10.

W10 has been the most trouble-free OS I've ever run.  Everyone who is sticking to W7 etc., well, have fun with that.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Enjoy your lack of privacy with Windows 10!
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Same here N5TGL.. * * * * * 
    Like give you another STAR but it will undo the first.. 
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Michael

I thought I'd read there was no "patch Tuesdays" with W10 but somehow my updates seem to hit on a Tuesday. Agree about W10 OS although I have had good luck with FreeBSD also. I just fired up an Ubuntu 16.02. It works well except when system 'sleeps' it doesn't wake up properly. So one can let it sleep which is not good.

W10 Privacy ?  Using W10 Pro there are a lot of settings to limit access to private data. Salvador please let me know where the holes are and I'll plug them.

Regards,
    TimP
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Despite past predictions to the contrary, Patch Tuesday for Win 10 seems to be alive and well.  Most Win 10 patches are rolled up into one monthly cumulative patch (Win 7 and 8 patching is moving into that direction also).  These cumulative patches are huge, bad news for folks like me with multiple PCs on a “metered” connection.  Other than that, I’ve been pretty happy with Win 10 and have had few problems. 

Howard

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That's been my problem - metered connections. Some months I've exceeded my data limits which effectively means I'm paying for these updates. On 4G that's $200+ per month and $15/GB overage. I love living out in the sticks - except for this one thing.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Having had enough of Windows 10, I went back to W7. Te advantages? No more constant uninstall and reinstall, no more going to bed one eveinng, where everything worked, and getting up the next day to find it doesn't any more. Webcam works, audio works. No eternal reboot problem.  I control the update process, and anyone who is interested should install Wireshark on their W10 installation, and see just what is happening when you are running Windows 10.

Windows 7 has 100 percent uptime so far. I didn't buy the best radio in the world to saddle it with an Operating System that is not ready for primetime.

This is a computer purchase year, and I'll be getting a new iMac, and a new i7 Windows laptop running W7. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Early on I installed Never10 on all 9 computers in my house. Yes I did try W10 but I could find no compelling feature that made it worthwhile to upgrade fromW7 and to this day have yet to have anyone ever give me a reason Reading the various user communities W10 has been quite a nightmare for not only Flex but many other applications. I provide Free tech support to many of my and my XYL friends I am constantly having to repair W10 systems after updates. My best solution is to move them to trouble free W7

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.