Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is an FPGA?

Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
A field-programmable gate array (FPGA) is an integrated circuit designed to be configured by a customer or a designer after manufacturing—hence "field-programmable". The FPGA configuration is generally specified using a hardware description language (HDL), similar to that used for an application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) (circuit diagrams were previously used to specify the configuration, as they were for ASICs, but this is increasingly rare). Contemporary FPGAs have large resources of logic gates and RAM blocks to implement complex digital computations. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array) The following video, recommended by John, KM6QX from EVVBlog is a nice tutorial describing what a FPGA is and how it operates on a technical level (http://www.eevblog.com/2013/07/20/eevblog-496-what-is-an-fpga/)

Answers

• Richard Mcclelland
    edited March 2017
    Maybe we can use one of these to get a 5 khz to 1.2 Ghz Flex 7700:  http://www.nextplatform.com/2016/03/17/fpgas-can-take-gpus-knights-landing/

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The FPGA is not the only factor.  You need a wideband ADC of decent dynamic range.
  • Richard Mcclelland
    edited March 2016
    Well for only a few dollars more, I'll throw one of those in, too.  (I'm sure you guys are far more focused on the state of the art than I am but I thought the article might be interesting for some on this board.)
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    This should be required viewing for someone when they come up with a bright idea to have Flex implement.   It also gives some idea of how smart the Flex architecture is, to be this complicated, yet the user can write a few dozen lines of code and make a program or a sub routine to control the radio.  A thing of beauty!

73  W9OY
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I want my 6700 to sound like a bug.... o **** there went 4 panfalls....

73  W9OY
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    It can all you have to do is plug in my old Vibroflex original and your off :)
    If your not talking about software bug 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.