Weird frequency drift 6700

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
I tried to do work some digital modes today and the PSK signals looked all crooked.  The signals shift up and down frequency.  It also does this on the SSDR panafall.  At first I thought it was some type of weird band conditions but it has done it all day on multiple bands.  I have tried different computers and have done a factory reset but I still have the problem.  Any ideas?
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 359 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Paul W5PF

Paul W5PF

• 47 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I had a similar problem with my 6500 a couple years ago. It was a stability problem with an oscillator which required a trip back to Austin to fix. 

73, Paul W5PF
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1561 Posts
  • 552 Reply Likes
Have you tried a frequency calibration run? Might give it a kick in the right direction. Do you have an external reference (10 MHz)? Is it doing okay, and was it on and stable before starting the Flex?
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 359 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
I don't have a external reference.  This just started happening the last couple of times I have used the radio. 
Photo of WH6HI - Pat

WH6HI - Pat

• 275 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Time to call Flex.
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 509 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Yep!  I had the same problem with my 6700 a couple of months ago.  FRS troubleshot the problem and it turned out to be the Reference Oscillator.  I ended up having to send my 6700 in for repair.  It was repaired quickly and returned.  Excellent service.
Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 394 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Yep, time to call the Mother Ship!
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 359 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Crap.  That isn't what I wanted to hear...  Thanks for the info.  I guess I will be calling Flex on Monday.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 359 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
For those of you that had the problem, was it intermittent?  I've had the radio on decoding PSK this morning and so far no issues.
Photo of Paul W5PF

Paul W5PF

• 47 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
In my case it was temperature related. It only occurred after transmitting for a few minutes.

Paul W5PF
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 359 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
At first I was thinking that too but I left the radio on all day on receive and it was still doing it when I shut it off last night.  So far today is hasn't done it.  I know it's done this at least one other time.  It was doing it yesterday before I transmitted.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 834 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
I would try restarting the DaX task. If no diff, then a pwr cycle of the 6k, if no diff a factory reset.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1274 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes
@Burch - Might be useful to open a HelpDesk ticket today, so FRS has it for Monday.

Sorry you have troubles.  

On the good side, when my radios have gone to FRS the turn-around was nice.

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1561 Posts
  • 552 Reply Likes
Good luck Burch -- did you try a full reset to factory defaults AND removing (as in disconnecting the power poles from the back) power for 5 minutes? That often clears a multitude of ills.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 358 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
I did do the factory reset and disconnected from power but not for 5 minutes.  Maybe 30 seconds to a minute.  Right now, the radio is working great and hasn't drifted all day.  I know this is the second time it has happened.   I had the radio on for over 12 hours yesterday and it drifted all day.  I've had the radio on for 5 hours today and no drift.  Weird.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9149 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
If it exhibits this behavior again, please open a HelpDesk ticket
Photo of Mark wt0e

Mark wt0e

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Burch,

After 17 months, my 6700 is having a very similar if not the same problem you describe.  Can you reply to let us know what, if anything, was the outcome?

Thanks!

Mark W9AT