Turning on the Flex 6500 remotely.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Trying to implement an appropriate way to turn on my Flex 6500 remotely.  If I have the remote plug to ground all the time would this have an an adverse affect on the radio.  I would be turning the power ( 12v) on and off as the means to activate the radio using a wemo switch on my power supply.  Is this a possible scenario or does the radio need the remote switch turned on and off by relay after power is supplied to the radio.  
Photo of Rick- K2RB

Rick- K2RB

• 22 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 824 Posts
  • 168 Reply Likes

There are various ways to skin a cat on this one. Some like to use I/P relays. Bekin Wemo makes such an animal where you can toggle the relay contacts on/off over the Internet. However, at my location I have an Internet A/C switching device for turning my computer on and off. It has 4 ports. I use one of the ports to apply A/C to a cheapie 12 Volt supply which supplies the voltage to a small 12 volt relay whose contacts are connected to the remote input of the Flex. Works very well as does the Wemo. When the contacts are closed, the radio is turned on. When the contacts are open, the radio turns off.

Jim, K6QE

(Edited)
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1529 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
Your plan will work fine; that's what some of us do. I used to use the WeMo, then changed to a 3 port Global Cache closure unit to switch other things, too.

One thing, though - when you cut the DC supply, any GPS or TCXO advantages are lost. Your radio will also throw a low voltage error message.

If you can, leave rig power attached and use the remote closure to mimic pressing the front panel button.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken K7YR

Ken K7YR

• 48 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Rick,

Please view web site www.ControlByWeb.com.  I purchased a four switch relay, gave it an IP Address and use it to control my 6700, 6300 and antenna relays..  Works just great.  No Rube Goldberg  devices.

Ken K7YR

Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 784 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
I like these.. very good value

http://www.digital-loggers.com/ac.html

paired with one of these.. also a good value

http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

then you can use the ip power switch to turn it on and off..  They have a free ipad app and the power strip is web based.  very slick. 
Photo of Carmine Iannace, W1EQX

Carmine Iannace, W1EQX

• 45 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
The DLI stuff is great. The combination of the web power switch and their AC relay module is a wonderful idea. Completely plug and play. There is a iPhone app for the web power switch too. I especially love the ping loss monitor reboot function in the switch. The ping loss monitor can also work as a deadman "kill" switch when operating remote and the internet goes down. I recently purchased the DIN relay for my remote Flex station http://www.digital-loggers.com/din.html  The scheduler can shut off the radio at 1 AM if I fall asleep at the remote shack.

Carmine
W1EQX
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 784 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Totally agree.  I actually got mine at their facility that is nearby here in the silicon valley.  I rarely endorse companies but DL are super cool, the engineer/owner there gave us a total tour of their factory and showed off new toys.. Listened to us rave about how cool this stuff would be for ham radio.. then as we were departing hands full the engineer quietly shook our hands as he gave us his call sign and the fact he was a long time Amateur radio operator.  :-)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3467 Posts
  • 1328 Reply Likes
I use 3 WEMO switches mainly because they work seamlessly from my iPad remote.

1. Computer AC
2. 12 Astron AC supply
3. 12 Relay to 6700 AC power.
Photo of spopiela

spopiela

• 71 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I like the Ipad/iphone easy connect approach with WEMO . Forty bucks per connection .. I'll tunnel in using VPN on my router and leave the computer off.
Photo of Javier Fernandez

Javier Fernandez

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I use a WEMO Maker with the contact closure contacts wired to the  Remote On RCA input. A little pricey but it works well via my cell phone apps, both IPhone and Android.
Photo of Rick- K2RB

Rick- K2RB

• 22 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I want to thank everyone for their support.  Some great ideas and possibilities.  Definite solutions and can't wait to try them.   Rick, K2RB
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 959 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
I decided on the digital loggers solution.

I purchased a controllable digital loggers power strip and also one of their relay boards.  The power strip can be used to disable all A/C power to power supplies and other devices.  The relay controller allows me to remote power on/off the 6500 and also my Flex1500.

the digital loggers solutions are robust and easy.
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 639 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
I'll second that. Well built unit. I've had mine for over a month and it works very well over the internet. Very easy to setuo.
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 824 Posts
  • 168 Reply Likes

If you use a mini computer that was discussed by simon Lewis, you might also consider remoting a computer on and off also. Most computers are turned on by a SPST switch that requires a momentary closure to to turn it on and a momentary closure to turn it off. I use a remote relay that is pulsed on and off from programming pulsing on my remote power switch. Having the ability to remotely turn a computer on and off can be quite a powerful addition to the shack.

Jim, K6QE

Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 824 Posts
  • 168 Reply Likes

Don't be misled with the kudos to WEMO smartphone app. Any of the I/P remote switchers can be accessed by entering the I/P address  of the unit (on iPhone Safari, for example) and you directly utilize the GUI of the remoted unit.

Jim, K6QE

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3467 Posts
  • 1328 Reply Likes
@Jim k6QE.

While entering ip addresses is doable. It takes time and effort to f=do so which can be a big PIA when remote.
'WEMO has an iPad app. Which is totally seamless. Gives you status of each control when you turn on the app and easily turns power on and off with the touch of the screen.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 959 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
Certainly WEMO and an app work just great. For my data logger devices there is a direct url to enable/disable/cycle each device. On my iphone I just created a folder and put desktop URL apps for each device in the folder. It might even be quicker than the WEMO but I have not tested that. Anyway both methods work.
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 824 Posts
  • 168 Reply Likes
Not so, I just put an icon on the screen and there in less than a second.
Photo of Ken K7YR

Ken K7YR

• 48 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Using the Quad Web Relay www.controlByWeb.com and placing it's icon on your remote device screen the four switches are graphically shown...... Click on of off and away you go.

Ken K7YR
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9013 Posts
  • 3413 Reply Likes
"If I have the remote plug to ground all the time would this have an an adverse affect on the radio."

No.  That is what it was designed to do.
Photo of Rick, K7FYI

Rick, K7FYI

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
New Flex 6300 owner here - just being cautious and asking first to confirm my understanding (don't want to hurt my new radio!).  I'm taking from this thread that it's OK to leave the remote plug grounded and turn the radio on / off via the power supply, right?

I already have a RigRunner 4005i and can turn power to the rig on / off remotely through it.  
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3866 Posts
  • 1176 Reply Likes
I just received this from Amazon and had it hooked up and running in 10 minutes.  It cost $8.95 with Free shipping (Amazon Prime Member).  It has an AC pigtail to plug in and a three terminal panel to wire to  N.O. or N.C.  contacts.  It is slick, and cheaper than I could ever build myself!

http://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-AC-Protection-Bounce-Terminals/dp/B017743I7S?ie=UTF8&psc=1&re...

I am switching it with a NEO Wifi Controlled AC Switch that I also got from Amazon for about $22.  
Or you can use a WiMo brand switch which is good, but more expensive.  

Both have iPhone and iPad applications to turn them on & off.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 140 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
I originally thought of using the WEMO Web power switch, but bought the Digital Loggers Web power switch, mentioned above, instead.  The primary reason I like the Digital Loggers unit is that it is hard-wired to the Ethernet network via a CAT5 cable, whereas the WEMO is Wi-Fi, and I was concerned about Wi-Fi failure vs the better reliability of hard wiring via CAT5.  I don't use a wireless router but rather have a wireless access point connected to my network, situated in a more central location of my home, and it has locked up on a power dip at times (i have since added a UPS to its power feed).

Really, any additional contact closure for the power on port of the Flex radio is unnecessary.  Install a shorted RCA plug and anytime you power cycle the Digital Loggers power switch feeding the AC to the radio's DC supply, the radio will turn off and back on without you being present to hit the power switch.  The Digital Loggers unit also has 8 independently operated outlets, so you can reboot your PC as well.  It also has a programming capability so you can ping your router and reboot it should it lock up.  Plus, I do as mentioned above: With internal programming it powers off certain pieces of equipment in late evening should I forget to do so.

Greg - N8GD
Photo of Carmine Iannace, W1EQX

Carmine Iannace, W1EQX

• 45 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Greg,

I also have been using the Digital Loggers Web power switch here for remote control for a number of years with great results. Love the ping reset and scripting functions too. I would recommend it.

Digital Loggers has a few other great products as well that could be used for remote Flex use as well. Their informational videos on the web site are "campy" but informative.

Carmine W1EQX
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 639 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
Great switch, been using it for a couple of years.
Photo of Larry Benoit

Larry Benoit

• 62 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I have two Web Power Switches from Digital Loggers. Very reliable -- never had either go off-line unintentionally or require a manual reboot after power failures. 

I use one to control a pneumatic mast and compressor from my desktop PC and Android smartphone and another for remote operations (via OpenVPN) to control my Flex 6500, linear amplifier, DC power supplies, Ethernet to serial adapters and other gear.  

No special client software is required -- any computing device that runs an internet browser can access a Web Power Switch. Here is the control panel for a three year old Web Power Switch 4:

At $140 they are well-made and cost-effective.

Larry KB1VFU
Photo of Rick, K7FYI

Rick, K7FYI

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks, everyone!  I've got the RigRunner / grounded remote working and have bookmarked the other solutions for future use.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
I never realized so many were remoting their radios   very cool!
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3467 Posts
  • 1328 Reply Likes

@Lee ... I guess you just figured out why V2.0 WAN is so Important for future sales at Flex.. 

Photo of AB9UU

AB9UU

• 54 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I have a 3Gstore Remote Power IP Switch I got from Amazon.  Works great.  My issue is the wiring from the IP remote switch.  Can someone show me a photo of what I need to build for the RCA connection?  I have an old radio shack 3 amp 12 volt power supply running from the IP AC Power switch but am unsure of the wiring to the RCA plug the 12 volt source.
(Edited)
Photo of Larry Benoit

Larry Benoit

• 62 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I used a two dollar 12 VDC (1 amp rating) SPST reed relay from Jameco and wired it inline with a surplus audio cable.   But, I suggest you save yourself the trouble of wiring up a DC relay and get one of these 120 VAC power relays from DLI; plug it into your 3Gstore remote power switch and connect the Flex REMOTE ON to it with any old RCA audio cable from your junk drawer.
http://www.digital-loggers.com/ac.html

The DLI relay gives you a choice of normally-on (closed) or normally-off operation (open). 

Larry KB1VFU
Photo of AB9UU

AB9UU

• 54 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Thank you.  I looked at this but was unsure.  I will order one pronto.  I only want to operate "remote" from the bedroom upstairs but this will save me trip to the basement.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Official Rep

• 794 Posts
  • 1432 Reply Likes
While we will not take orders until the amp has passed final FCC/CE you can send an email to sales at FlexRadio dot com saying you want to be on the mailing list to receive updates.
Photo of AB9UU

AB9UU

• 54 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
This was too easy.  Worked right away with Digital Loggers device and 3Gstore AC switch.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1730 Posts
  • 530 Reply Likes
Not sure if you guys are familiar with these....
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html
Photo of AB9UU

AB9UU

• 54 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
How can these things be so inexpensive?   A few years ago I would have to mortgage the house. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.