Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SPE EXPERT 1.3K-FA Amp

Options
KL4QG
KL4QG Member ✭✭
1300 Watt Amp with antenna tuner Will work all Flex radios in auto band switching etc Joe

Answers

• Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    yes works very well, lots of info here if you search.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Ok thank u
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I’m wondering what difference is in 3 models up 1.5 K plus If extra wattage means much on receiving stations Joe
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Joe,
    I recently purchased the 2K-FA but it's been a little while since I made my comparisons of the three I'm sure a few folks versed in the 1.3 and 1.5 will likely fill you in.

From what I recall the power supplies are lighter in the smaller and for the most part the 1.3 and 1.5 are fairly accurate.

I chose the 2K after correctly bring told it is a power house with a LOT of overhead.
    For casual use it limps along easily at a KW+ without issue and if needed it's a killer at full legal limit and can handle CW and ,Phone contesting easily as well all day.
    At FT8 and RTTY best to derate between 1k- to 1.2 k, at that duty cycle it will easily handle it in a hot and heavy contest at that level output.

The tuner will clean up reasonably matched antennas up to 3:1. I had zero issues going through all of my antennas.
    Once done this amp is Fully Automatic as is implied.
    I had a small learning curve trying to figure out the antenna programming because I have always had manual tune amps. Once I got head head straight it's now second nature now.
    Joe all three are like this on the tuners and this is really SWEET!!!

My justification for the price is early retirement present to me. Get it now while I can afford it

73' hope that helped.

Clay N9IO
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Expertlinears.com has a comparison of the amps and a concise list of functions for each. The tuner in the 1.5 K-FA is hood for upto 5 to 1 swr . While the others are 3 to 1. The 2K-FA uses six mosfets while the other two use a single LDMOS device. I own the 2K-fA and it will easily do 1500+ on all bands but is limited to 1000 watts on FT8 and similar high duty cycle modes. It will transmit full power for about 10 seconds on these modes before reducing power.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I like the built in-tuner mostly and have a good deal
    On 1.3 -FA with tuner
    I have a power house amp with two 1500 watt LDMOS device a friend made me it does 1500 watts with out sweating— I want 1.3 for tuner and remount use in future
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I wonder if there is any Expert amp sites were Expert owners post? Other than the Flex Radio Forum.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I’m enjoying all this!!! nice group of helpful hams
  • Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Coolest your the Man
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I cannot find in manual online the Max Safe Drive input wattage from Flex 6400M
  • Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    about 4 watts will drive it to 400watts ,max output is about 15watts drive and the amp controls the flex output levels automatically once set, more info here https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/sdr-settings-for-spe-1-3k-amplifier
    cheers
    Paul
  • Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    also see the 3rd review down from PB5X 
    http://www.spetlc.com/en/reviews-3kfa-uk.html
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    http://w9og.net/forum/index.php?topic... This. Confusing part this guy drove amp with 40 watts in link .QST had review I cannot find it now
  • Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I think the us and uk versions are different as some FCC rule applies to amplifier gain in the US
  • Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    By the way once you have the amp connected you can start with 3 or 4 watts and increase it by using the arrow keys on the amplifier until you get out what you require, once set o the amplifier, the flex will always select the correct wattage out as set by the amplifier. It's all very simple and automatic and power output is set per band.

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Ok with my Ameritron 80B I set Flex to Max 45 watt I understand now this different I’m not going use a computer in line with 1.3 amp and my Flex 6400B -I’m let Amp and Flex commutate together - I don’t have my Flex 6400M hooked to a computer for now I don’t need all this so far- I need get right cables next I
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I also opted for the SPE 2K.  I had a 1K for a while but it wimped out when the load got heavy.

I have integrated full control of the SPE amps into FRLogger over RS-232.  With the use of an RS-232 to TCP device server you can fully control your amp over the internet using FRLogger.

The Console apps provided by SPE work very well but are limited to local connections unless you take some steps to make use of virtual/remote comm ports or USB.

While I would love to have 1500 watts at times on FT8 there is little I cannot work with 1100 or so.   Usually my signal is not the problem, it is the remote station's noise level.  

Virtually all high-power amps get a little noisy with fans.   I actually have my entire station, Flex, Amp etc located in a shed where my A/C unit is installed.  It is behind a locked door, insulated and remains pretty cool and dry.

I hear zero noise from my Flex or Amp during even high load use.

Without any doubt I am interested in the PGXL but they simply are not available.  Plus being a new amp they are having a few minor issues to work out.  Maybe in a year or so they will be available.

Till then my SPE does everything needed. 

I also use the internal tuner of the SPE amp as well.  FRLogger will include (V17) an SPE auto tune routine which will drive drive your Flex to transmit across a band and trigger the SPE amp to tune in that band.

I have an 80m loop right now and I've auto-tuned across 40, 20, and 15 meters.   Frequency switching is instantaneous on those bands and the amp is ready at full power by the time the frequency change is done.

Here is FRLogger talking to the amp:

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    What mean by wimped out on heavy load ?
    That was 1K I believe different power trans than 1.3K FA - What is real difference in 1K and 1.3K ,,1.5 and 2K

Like I said I have a custom built amp now uses two 1500 watt power trans that baby cooks power-

The 1.3K FA for my work place Water Treatment Plant office I work so much over time want use amplifier there and 6400M I’m using radio Sport Headset with noice canceling Mic boy do I get great Audio reports- the 2 amps I have now have fan noise -Radio Sport never picks up noise even when my wife 5 feet away watching TV in our Bush small Log Cabin I like see and watch my equipment at all times that Part of my enjoyment Watching meter swinging
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Dan KC5PCB Making me a cable
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Wimped out means that in any thing like a digital contest, rtty or whatever the 1K SPE amp quickly overheated and reduced power to like 200 watts and often went into alarm.

I think if you are an SSB op having an amp that is around 1.3 to 1.5 k is probably fine.  But if you are going to do digital or RTTY you need the headroom of a bigger amp that can do better cooling.

The simple comparison is:

FT8 on SPE 1K.   Rapidly the amp reduced power from 600 watts down to 200 as the temp rose.

FT8 on SPE 2K - Amp can run 1100 watts out all day long.  Temperature rises but the cooling system keeps up.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    SPE 1K - Total output 1000 watts, maybe a little more.  Not continuous duty
    SPE 1.3K - Total output close to 1500 watts, not continuous duty will derate to around 800 or so on heavy loads.
    SPE 1.5K - Rated 1500 out.  Not sure how it does on heavy loads as I have no experience with this amp.
    SPE 2K - Rated 2000 out.   Will maintain 1500 out on CW and SSB all day long.  On heavy digital loads will derate to around 1100 out.

Some others might correct the specs on SPE 1.3 and SPE 1.5 models.

The SPE amps are very well protected against overheat, overload, SWR etc.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Thanks 100% SSB here just Nets and talking to people never more than 30 sec at time
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Joe I sure hope you'll consider operating ARRL November Sweepstakes SSB exactly two weeks from now. You are a very sought multiplier.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    What time and date again and the amount days see if I’m off KL4QG
    Sweepstakes One big thing please point your beans toward Alaska

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.