Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Read instructions

Options
np2g
np2g Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
It is about time we who cannot implement various functions that absolutely function start reading the instructions .

Problems with Flex software or something Flex systems  has failed to do should be addressed here . Not is my shoe too tight or how do I fasten  the laces??? 

I am all for helping but you must help yourself first . Usually you solve your problem with reading the instructions . 

Comments

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Alas, you appear stuck in a mind set that has not adapted to more modern methods of learning. Reading instructions, is helpful to some (depending on learning style ) but the advent of the Internet decades ago made simply "asking a question" a better option , at times. 
    Andy K3UK
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The majority of "problems "  here are not Flex soft or Hard Problems . 

Asking a question when you have exhausted all the help files or instructions is good . Asking a question because you are reluctant to read the instructions  and want someone else to point you  to the resolve is not . (Has nothing to do with learning styles ) 

The point is being missed . 

What I am suggesting as a very basic idea , Wow  a idea , That we look to the instructions and find out what is intended .Implement these and then   , if there is a problem   it is a problem. 

Because I can read and comprehend. I find it not necessary to answer your snide remark on being stuck . 

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You are expressing an opinion based on your value system, not one of fact. You state that asking a question because of being 'reluctant"  is not good.  There is  no basis for your conclusion other than your own opinion . Individuals lean in different ways. For some,  taking the time to read instructions is a very helpful thing to do.   For others asking a question  is still more helpful , for a variety of possible reasons.  One reason is that a person can read instructions over and over again and still not understand.  That can be because they are dumb, the instructions are poor, they have learning disabilities, etc, etc.  It also depends on the objectives of the person asking the question. Your objective is to instill what you believe are  good learning skills via the process of reading a manual.  There is evidence that this is not always the most effective method. I have written several manual for amateur  radio practices,  mostly because other manuals are not as instructive as the authors may have wished.  You may find  the following helpful .  When less is more: Meaningful learning from visual and verbal summaries of science textbook lessons.Mayer, Richard E.; Bove, William; Bryman, Alexandra; Mars, Rebecca; Tapangco, Lene
    Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol 88(1), Mar 1996, 64-73. doi: 10.1037/0022-0663.88.1.64 
    It is an old article , but my thoughts are that forums similar to Flex Radio's  community are alternatives consistent with this article.   When someone asks a question, support enhances learning rather than criticism of those asking the question. 
    Andy K3UK 
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options

There is a process that marries these two ideas.  With Mouse Over and Press 1 for help is the option to present suggestions of where to look for the answer, with the "if all else fails" option of "Ask the Community".

Apparently (as I'm not the best at documenting my software) it requires a new style of technical writer to pull it off "top of class".

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The plea for users to RTFM ("Read the Fine Manual", in one translation that lacks any four-letter words) is as old as technology itself.  And I'm not talking about just computers.

If you were setting up your radio with your elmer in the room, and something didn't make sense or seem to work, wouldn't you turn to your elmer and ask "Hey... is this right?  How do I make it do XYZ?"  Or would you withdraw to the corner and study the manual further instead of asking the senior man next to you.  I'm quite sure you'd  ask your elmer for assistance.  Well, at least I would.

Well, now in the 21st Centurywe live in enormous, globally interconnected, communities. Our "elmers" live here on line.  They're "in the room with us" even if they're multiple time-zones away, and they can answer us when it and if it suits them.

That's all a community like this is.  And, do please keep in mind, it is just that: A community.  It's not the Flexradio support ticket system.

All my "ham buddies" are "virtual buddies" ... I know VERY few hams "face to face" and I don't hang out with any of them on a regular basis and I didn't meet ANY of them until long after I had my license and had been on the air long enough to earn my DXCC.  And I've never had an in-person elmer. So, if I have a question... I turn to the community.  Either here or elsewhere online.

Ain't the 21st Century cool?  If it wasn't for the online community, I wouldn't be ham now.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    All valid points out there. It surely is a "brave new world" of learning and communicating. But, as I think NP2G is getting at, it is frustrating when people who have clearly not done their homework start railing away on-line about bad software or hardware when the real issue is elsewhere. It's not just a Flex Community issue - we see it all over the place. It's discouraging. Don't be reactive and wantonly "uninstall and reinstall" - that can often make things worse, both for the system and the operator. And yes, check the forums/communities/manuals first - others may have solved your problem already. Asking for help is not the problem, really. It's the way in which some go about it. 

:::and breathe:::

Geo/KF2T
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Asking questions without reading the manual is almost as bad as posting that your should read the manual. 
  • Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    One of the techniques that I've learned, in ham radio as well as other life issues, is that there is a lot to be learned from the experiences of others. If I read about where another ham didn't check the red TX and complained about loss of transmit, for example, checking the red TX would be high on my mental checklist. I try not to judge others based on the questions asked being in the documentation - I learn from those questions as well.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    And sometimes the instructions are of no help at all, as in the HRD DM70 issue addressed in another thread.  The problem was a bug in some of the in-line maintenance releases of HRD!  Unfortunately when things like that occur at the same time as a new release of SmartSDR, it can be very difficult to pinpoint just where the problem lies.  RTFM doesn't help in those cases.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I agree with the OP 100%, but there are several flaws with this argument that takes me back to April 1992 when I first started playing with computers.
    1) If one does not know what something is called, one cannot look it up or even search for it. This includes not using the 'right' search terms.
    2) Many manuals, including that for SSDR (though it is well written) have a writing style which says something like "x disables fizzband and y enables it" without saying what 'fizzbang' is or why would one want to use it.
    3) It is just so much easier to ask a simple question, especially in the cases of 1 and 2 above.

For example, I have searched the SSDR manual for WWV - the button that is in the bands section. Not one hit for "WWV".
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    fact Ok. Here we go. It is evident that some questions are asked yes without the asker even having a clue. . Fact You do not need to be a rocket scientist. Or a engineer to enjoy this radio hobby Fact And it's not a mental problem. As one alludes Fact It is the ones looking for instant gratification without first reading the instructions. This really should be kept to a minimum . Fact Yes I will post again that you should read the manual. Even if it would offend those too lazy to do so Fact Some need all hands to the their shoes . There are a multitudes of facts. Please just real problems not self inflected ones .
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Fact:-
    Reading the manual teaches one how to use something. Its value as a trouble-shooting guide is overrated.

People without a clue tend to ask questions - that is how they learn. Should teachers just answer questions by giving pupils a text book.

This forum should not be like a Linux forum, where the 'elmers' exist just to be horrible to noobs. I believe that hams are much better than that and personally would not stoop to that level by assuming that one was too lazy to RTFM.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    See again that's your take on reading the instructions Look I must think that flex purchasers are pretty smart people . After all they are getting the absolute best piece out there . So a cut above is a fair presumption . That smart isn,t again the issue . And teachers teach off a text. Which the student are obliged to READ. Comprehension is again not the issue. . With most problems it is the implementation. Of events configured to match the design . And if one wants to be taken by the hand When by simply reading the instructions. There is success then shame on them . Again this is not the issue. What should be happening is if a problem is denoted. A n outcry for help should be proceeded by a comprehensive effort to the solution . Then help is a quantified result. Your colloquial description is again not on base Everyone is as you put it a noobs . At one time or the other . And if your attempt to learn requires you to question then at least ask smart questions If this is done then the answer will make success. This retort of read the instructions was directed to uplift the question pool And teacher says "You must be lazy if you don,t do your homework," If refer to the act of reading it as RTFM. I guess you won't get any Porridge
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RTFM is not derogatory. Such arrogance at deciding what is and is not a smart question. The only silly question is the one not asked. You remind me of those Linux gurus who only seem to infect forums to make life difficult for those starting out.

• np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sure. Read the fine manual. I don't think so Look. Elevate the questions Provide imperial explanations. To the problem. Don't hit the send key until you read it. You may find the answer before you post . And then if post you do. I am sure the problem can be resolved and we all can Benefit . You may call me arrogant We all should expect the best .
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When I have a question, I pursue the most direct and immediate answer.  That may be in the manual.  It may also be asking the community.  If there were an aversion to answering questions, the community wouldn't exist.  We all answer questions willingly and in the spirit of helping others.  If we aren't willing to do that, well, we can always read what others have to say and just keep quiet.

There's nothing wrong with asking a question that may be answered in the manual unless one calls you up at 2 AM to ask it.  On this media, one can ignore whatever they find objectionable. 

Sometimes the information in the manual can use a little discussion to enhance understanding.  That's why we're all here.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Keep in mind, many non Flexers read the community as well, That is how many learn about this great radio. they like to read things of interest. For me I say ask away, anything. I like sifting through the post, who knows maybe I can learn something. If the questions bother people than I'm sure there are better places to go....
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    To all thank you for your reply's on Read the instructions.
    In summary :
    I did  place the comments here with the former posts as well as I could. and have found 

If you belong to the group of question first dam the manual. this is supported by your prior listings. 
    Your efforts have produced reading data to resolve whatever you requested . A good thing. 

If you are read first and then ask questions You too have provided valuable documentation for all to read and follow. A good thing. 

I could not find  those who found the answers by reading the instructions because they were not listed on this forum. Only can I presume  there must have been some of that info exposed by the previous groups influencing  their success.

For me I like the read first type . (My personal preference)  The questions when answered have a far stronger basis for understanding .  

Oh!! there were a few   that Attacked because they know no better . These I tried to provoke . 
    Its not your fault .Sometimes the truth hurts  . I do offer an apology and I am sure your reading skills will improve . You also benefit the discussion .

Please remember  " The pen is mightier than the Sword "
    As long as it has a sharp point !!!

Dam!! few have survived doing this however .

Now I could ask" How to close this discussion "    Never mind I read how to in the instructions. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.