Power Supplies and Flex 6300 questions

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Taking advises , cause I guess my power supplies is not working properly 

What power supplies would you recommend? linear or switching ?

whats's the ideal Power Supply Peak Output   Amp.?  and VDC ?

thanks

George
YV5WZ
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 423 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 423 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Official Response
Solved!!

I'd like to share my experience and thanks to all you "Hams" and friends for help you gave me

This is what I read...and what I did

1st thing: "Definitely avoid switching supplies" ...my power supplies is linear, so I decided to check it exhaustively: 13.98 VDC 40 Amp after test ..so It is GOOD....so I took Howard (KY6LA) advise avoiding Switching Supplies

2nd thing: "I had a very unsatisfactory result when using a PowerGate device and RigRunner DC power manifold." Paul (W9AC)  it was really a great advise, his experience with RigRunner made me think and check my RigRunner 4008H which was bought to keep "order" in my shack....however test showed me 0.4 voltage drop, 0.9 v after turning on Antenna Tuner ......so I took Paul advise using it only for low-current accessory device

3rd thing: "Do not use small cables"  Howard(KY6LA).................... I took this advise seriously cause I didn't know what cable number came with my flex....after checked it I guess could be a #12 or #10 . I Decided to keep it cause It's the stock one, I'm sure Flex people wouldn't let themselves to have that kind of mistake...It must be right one.......

4nd thing: "No one has mentioned the cable between Flex and PS.  An additional 15A can result in a several volt drop in wiring, connectors, and especially fuses" Stan (VA7NF) and "This is not the fault of the power supply its just what happens when you use a lot of current at a lot voltage" Delbert  and " keep your cables as short as possible to reduce voltage drops" Howard (KY6LA)................I decided go directly from power supply 13.8VCD 40Amp to Flex  with less than 2 meters #12 cable.......

Voila!!!  Stand By  DDutil screen shows  13.7 v......Its 0.3 v more than previously ....and shows 13.5 v during 15 watts power transmission.....against  11.7 v before apply change

Thanks a lot to all....you made me save 300 box  ....next beers are on me

George
YV5WZ
San Antonio, Venezuela