Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

panadapter display

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Had fun using the 6700 with two panadapters and slices with DDUtil and N1MM. I was able to bounce between 15 and 10M effortlessly. But one thing I noticed that would REALLY help is to have the panadapter filled instead of just a line. A filled display would make it much easier to see where a signal is by contrasting the signal against the background. Averaging would be nice too. :) Oops, I think you know that already :) 73 Greg AB7R
3 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Greg, i think this is a part of our wishes + average, BTW this was on demo into advertising (i guess on initial stage of the SW planning)
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Agreed, averaging would be nice. Actually, what would be really nice is an official response as to where it fits in the timeline. *hint* *hint*
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    BTW Average/Non Average and Filled/Unfilled better to have switch for this options, in different cases different requirements as we are looking into the roadmap with functionality like : "Scope"
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited October 2016
    Agreed. I'd assume they'd implement it like they did on PSDR where it was switch selectable.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Really hoping the next beta or January's release has this fill option. I am really finding I am getting headaches trying to figure out what is signal and what is not when there are so many strong signals during a contest. It gets to a point where it is difficult to tell the difference. Maybe in addition to signal to noise ratio which is based on hearing we need a new measurement for signal to background contrast to more easily see a signal. :) One of the primary features of SDR is to visually see the signal....shouldn't this capability be maximized? 73 Greg
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I never used the "Fill" option, I found it ate too much CPU power... But I REALLY used the PanaFall function on my 1500. Now THAT is a very powerful tool for finding weak signals! I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. BTW, I really like Sergey's color-coded slice backgrounds. That would make things much easier to identify in "the heat of battle" during a contest or DX pileup.
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I prefer the current panadapter display as I believe it shows more fine detail. I think having it filled in would mask the detail when zoomed in . It would be a nice feature if it can be turned on/off.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Include me in the option of filled/not filled, sometimes it would be more pleasant if filled in with avg. don't believe it should be one or the other but a option at anytime. It will be great when we get a real ease and can say wow I did not have that on my 5000! Actually the next release will have that 4/8 slices!! More to come!
  • Charlie, WA3UTC
    Charlie, WA3UTC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    I prefer to use the option as not filled. I agree with AI6RE as I think it provides more detail. Having the option to turn this feature on and off is a good middle of the road feature for all.
  • Mike K5UX
    Mike K5UX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    I also agree with AI6RE.......the current display provides more detail and if I had to choose, I would prefer not filled....however, I think it would really be nice and clean to have this as an feature we could turn on or off. In my particular situation, I like the fine detail when working weak signal CW and think filling the display could mask the weak signals.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited December 2016
    I think it's pretty safe to say (I hope!) that we should have the same features and options on the panadapter as we did on PSDR. Switch selectable averaging and switch selectable fill. But averaging. Please.
  • Charles Talbott
    edited October 2014
    Hope I'm doing this correctly.....I would vote for the fill in below the panadapter line.  Best of both worlds would be to allow this as a choice.

73, Charlie k3ICH

• Len Morris
    Len Morris Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I have asked for the fill option since I ordered the 6500 radio. As soon as Flex can do it, would be great. Love it on my 3k

Thanks
    Len
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm getting confused guys, don't we already have averaging in the slice DISPLAY tab?  
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This thread began 10 months ago, before Averaging and panafall were added. "Fill under panadapter" is a function that several have requested. I find no value in it myself, because it adds no additional information while consuming CPU/GPA cycles merely to color in the space underneath the pan adapter graph. To each their own, however. If your computer can handle it and you like the visual effect, it would make sense to have it as an option, just as it is available in PowerSDR.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This idea was submitted 10 months ago.  The primary request was add an option to FILL below the line.  And at the time of the request averaging was not yet available, so that is why it was also mentioned.

At this time, the only feature still being requested is the "fill" option.   

By the way, some folks really like the fill and others really don't want it so it would have to be a setting that you can enable/disable to keep everyone happy.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    HI Ken,
    It looks like you beat me to the reply.   I'm not sure if I would use it or not.  But I'd give it a try.  As long as it's optional it can't hurt and might make some folks happy.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • G7CNF Amateur Radio Station .
    edited January 2015
    Immensely dislike an unfilled spectrum display. Please add this ASAP.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Nige,
    Check out this idea thread.  It has some additional options for the panadapter fill.  (transparency level) Also it has 25 votes,  so is one of he top requested features.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/if-you-want-the-ability-to-fill-in-the-pan-display-...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.