Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

OFFICIAL: Windows 10 Compatibility with 6000 series STATUS 08/2015?

KC2QMA_John
KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
What is the OFFICIAL compatibility status for Windows 10 and SmartSDR?

Does Flexradio currently recommend Windows 10 as of August 2015?

Or should users wait?

Answers

• Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    no its not supported as yet AFAIK

but I am running it fine on 4 PC's and my work machine without a hitch

and as long as you do an uninstall of SSDR and components before hand and reinstall post update it should work fine

Cheers
    Simon ZL4PLM
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

I installed a second SATA SSD drive which has Windows 10 while keeping windows 7 on the primary drive. I have yet to see any differences between the two operating systems.

Jim, K6QE

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I've been running Windows 10 for about 2 weeks now and find it to be more stable than Windows 7.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/windows-10-beta-works

I was part of beta team of 4-million plus world wide testers. There are claims of well over 14 million installs the first 24 hours. July-29-2015...

Works well with my setup. My CPU and Memory usages also seem to be a little bit lower too.

A more robust O.S>.

73 AA0KM

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Like AA0KM, I am an early adopter too.  I'm running Win10 in "production" now, and I'm getting good results.

But ...

I am seeing some rough spots, which is not unexpected.  If you enjoy the challenge of dealing with these, then fine, dive in.  Otherwise, I'd stand back for a month or two and let MS get some bugs fixed.  Bug fixes are coming out weekly right now.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Yes, PowerSDR and the SmartSDR ecosystem are fully supported on Win10. We have tested extensively on clean installs of Win10 and have found no operational issues. However, a small number of uses have experienced issues with some of the kernel mode drives used with our SDR software when upgrading from a previous operating system. When upgrading to Win10, it is highly recommended that you completely uninstall your SDR software including the drivers before upgrading the operating system to Win10, then reinstall your software. For SmartSDR this is the procedure you should follow: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSDR-for-Windows-from-your-PC For PowerSDR, uninstall PowerSDR then uninstall the FireWire driver before upgrading. If you have already upgraded and experiencing issues, you can try to completely uninstall your SDR software and the reinstall. If that does not work,my or may need to revert back to your previous Windows operating system version and uninstall your SDR software and then upgrade to Windows 10. We have also used the Win10 Recovery Refresh option to recover from operating system upgrade issues, but this is a destructive process and should be throughly investigated before used as a recovery option.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have been looking for the right time to wipe my system and do a “Clean Install” of windows 10 64bit and it looks like now is a good time because I just ordered my 6500!

My shack PC is way overkill for the new 6000 series but it was a spare production PC so I thought I would put it to good use.

The PC Specs are:

Intel I7 Extreme 8 Core 3.5Ghz 32MB Cache.

32 GB Quad Ch RAM

(2) 500 GB High speed SSD drives

NVidia video card 2 GB ram. Quad Monitor support. Only using 2 monitors.

73/KC2QMA

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When upgrading to Win10, it is highly recommended that you completely uninstall your SDR software including the drivers before upgrading the operating system to Win10, then reinstall your software. 
    This is excellent advice for anyone running ANY devices that are "out of the mainstream" when doing an OS version upgrade on Windows.

The process of moving drivers from one version of Windows to a newer version can be surprisingly tricky.  MSFT tests the upgrade process for common devices.  But I think we can be pretty confident that doesn't include the Flex-6000 series radios and their associated family of drivers and applications.

If you have some unusual device, it's ALWAYS better to uninstall it prior to the OS upgrade and re-install it when the OS upgrade is happily finished. Always.

Peter
    K1PGV

P.S.  As Tim also noted, removing the software and driver after the upgrade and re-installing it is definitely *not* the same as never having installed the software and driver and installing it afresh after the upgrade.  When you "remove" a driver on Windows, even if you tick the "Delete the software" box, it does *not* remove all knowledge of the device and driver from the OS.  In fact, there's no documented or supported way to make Windows uninstall and completely forget about a given device once that device has been "seen."  Strange, I know... but it's the way it is. This makes it *really* annoying to test installation procedures for Windows drivers.  To *really* know your code works, you have to repeatedly test it on clean installs.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Have the 6500 for 4 days great so far. The only issue is with flexcontrol not connecting somtimes when I start SSDR.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    We should have this and several other FlexControl issues addressed with the next version of SmartSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.