Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New radio announcement at Dayton ??

2»

Answers

• Richard Zalewski
    Richard Zalewski Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I think both Flex and Elecraft missed the boat somewhere.  They have units capable of SO2R but came out with amps that really don't support that mode of operation.  KPA1500 has no SO2R capabilities so coupling it with the K4 is useless.  Flex's amp is also limited without have a built in tuner.  Even the add on tuner is still a ways away.  Seems to me the long range planning on both parts left something to be desired.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    At least with Elecraft it works!
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Someone posted a New radio announcement at Dayton about the K4 but it;s gone? Why? Is it OK to compare transceivers? Isn't that what the Sherwood thing is all about? Flex is a great US company but so is Elecraft. They are both the creme de la creme.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yeah I noticed that... hmmm... not too cool.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
       Was anything actually said about the Tuner Genius?  Was there a demo unit
    perhaps?
                             Ned,  K1NJ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2019
    Elecraft had not officially announced the product.  As a common courtesy, FlexRadio does not post our competitor's product announcements if they have been leaked.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    It has now been announced.  That said, there is a censorship mentality among some representatives in the past
    which beyond being a moral concern, is unnecessary as Flex can stand on its own.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    At the dinner last night, Flex announced that a version 2.5 will be forthcoming and addresses some bugs, as well as a similar update to Version 3 software. 

Incidentally, nearly 400 will attend the two nights of Flex dinners.  The Flex exhibit at the Hamvention has 20 personnel and roughly 20 operating stations.  I don't believe any other exhibitor can match that. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I read some comments from the Flex dinner talks. It is nice to hear Flex is very very healthy and growing.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    It is very nice to see Tim back to take care of these kinds of things how ever long it last.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Not at the booth but what I was told was that gerald visited ranko recently so they’re moving on some things. I cannot say specifically what they are discussing but they are actively working on joint projects.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Commercial ones anyway. We had more than that in the ARRL expo :)
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The ARRL has 20 operating stations?
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Having the ability to watch 8 slices at the same time has me hooked on my 6700.  Anything else would be below par for me. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes it does look nice. Ton's of I/O but still has that darn Power Pole connector. ;)
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Can't wait to see what 2.5 has to offer.
    Thanks to the FRS team for all the hard work.
    Have fun at Hamvention 2019!
  • John AE5X
    John AE5X Member
    edited May 2019
    You're absolutely right. Look at all the mcHF (and clones) and the upcoming QSX. QRP SDR is all the rage now and Flex is missing an opportunity to bring newbies into the fold with a Flex 1500-like product at an economical price.

As much as I enjoy them, I would not currently own my Anan-10e or my mcHF if Flex (or Elecraft) made a similar product.

John AE5X
    https://ae5x.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.