Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Mac client - released in parallel

kr4k
kr4k Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
The new descriptions say: " as a server from PC, laptop, Maestro, Mac, or iOS clients – whether local or remote." Noticed the "Mac".
(1) Will Apple OS be a regular, full-featured SmartSDR v2 release?
(2) Will the Mac release fully support DAX and CAT?
(3) Will there be a fully defined Ethernet API documentation?

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

@Gus KR4K

I left with the understanding that DogparkSDR remains the Apple OS partner product.  There wasn't any mention of a change.

Previously discussed FRS said the DAX/CAT components do not have direct equivalents in the Apple OS world, nor does DDUtil.  There have been some threads on how to manage some of the aspects of Apple's audio. 

Not certain what you've meant by the Ethernet question, as the API interface for the radio-server is well defined. 

Steve K9ZW

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Unfortunately I doubt Flex will be releasing a Mac client but Dogpark Software already has a native Mac client. My guess is this 3rd party software they are referencing. 

https://www.dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html

• Doug - K3TZR
    Doug - K3TZR Member
    edited March 2020
    I wouldn't expect a Mac SmartSDR from Flex, the economics just don't support doing it. A small group of Mac users do exist and a few of us are working on pieces of the Mac puzzle. DogPark is one solution, SmartSDR for iOS is another although not for the Mac itself. There are a number of loggers and other software that already work on a Mac (e.g. RumLogNG, WSJT-X, etc.).

I've been working to develop a Mac-native version of the FlexAPI. I also know of a Mac DAX and CAT equivalent in the works.  Hopefully some of these will be ready for use soon. DogPark or SmartSDR for iOS together with a Mac-native DAX and CAT and some of the other Mac software already available will allow you to turn off the Windows box (if that's what you want).

As far as API documentation goes, I would agree that there is a good deal of documentation already but it's not 100% complete and not in an easily digestible form. I also find it difficult to understand the exact sequence of events and the timing of commands and responses. Wireshark is helpful for this but has a fairly steep learning curve.

I've built a simple Mac program to allow me to send and receive commands to / from the Radio, it has helped me to understand the API. I'll make it available as soon as I finish debugging my API code.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I think there is a different economic outlook for Mac Users. I would most very gladly pay 500 dollars for a MacOS version of SSDR. I'd pay 500 dollars for the update between 1 and 2. 

Considering that SSDR and it's incremental updates are free, the usual economic argument for Windows only doesn't carry as much weight. 

I have DogPark, and I do like it. But there are some limitations that is has. What it doesn't have is the constant breakage of the Windows SSDR. My Dogpark has 100 percent uptime.

And yes, I do understand that there are people out there who have never ever had a problem with any Windows update and SSDR. I used to be one of them, but now it's an issue. I had 2 updates in a week that broke SSDR and DAX.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    i am an avid user of dogparksdr (dpsdr) and macloggerDX (mldx).

I run two Mac Minis. One which i use VMware Fusin to run win10 or win7 VMs where i can bring up DAX/CAT/CWskimmer and connect to my flex 6300 but not SSDR.  This mini is simulateously running sdrconsole attached to sdrplay and FT100D for satellite operations.

On the other mini i run dpsdr and mldx with two panadapters. mldx is able to connect to the flex 6300 and cwskimmer and any another cluster at the same time. This allow me to see on the dpsdr panafall what both my local spots as well as world wide spots...i get the best of both worlds right there in front of me...

and
    i can use the filtering feature of mldx to cleanup the dpsdr display of unwanted spots too

dpsdr handles most of the CAT commands and i use h/w solution for routing audio ( ( cost $3...h/w DAX) in the mac environment.

Don Agro has created one great combo of s/w for the Macs in dpsdr and mldx...because of this s/w i am just three away from HR...

Oh by the way..it will alert me if any of those spots are ones that i need  .. using multiple alert methods of my choice...

my 3 1/2 cents ( inflation adjusted)

Paul K3SF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.