Need to purchase a new pc. Any suggestions from the 6500 owners? Desire plenty of headroom for the graphics.

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Howard K2AQ

Howard K2AQ

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1487 Posts
  • 525 Reply Likes
While SSDR works on a netbook with limited horsepower, I am most pleased with a quad core 3 GHz machine with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660. For the full 30 FPS panadapter function, you do need a good video card. Get the best you can. The video card is the key to running SSDR, I think. Signal processing happens in the radio, so it really is all about the display/interface.

Good luck & ENJOY!!
Photo of Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX

Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX, Elmer

• 455 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
An Intel i3,i5 or i7 will have all the PC processing power you need, but just make sure you do not get a machine that shares the CPU processing for graphics, basically stay away from embedded graphics. Get a machine (or build one) with a dedicated GPU (Nvidia or ATI).

Set your budget, and take your pick.

One of the best value cards at the moment is the ATI Radeon HD 7790 with a Passmark of 3000+ for just around $100

For $200 ish you can get a Passmark of 4600 with the Radeon HD 7950.

Aim to spend no less than $100 and you will have a more than adequate GPU.
Photo of k0eoo

• 551 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
George is right, Flex came out a while back and said you need a video card with a passmark rating of 400 or higher. Tim did a write up on this very topic and it should be posted if you search on topics.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1637 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
I'm using the GTX660 with a passmark of 4,115 (more than adequate) but one of my main considerations was support for up to 4 monitors. I have 3 monitors set up currently and it performs very well. Here is a good web site for video card comparisons you might find useful.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

CLICK to enlarge.....

Photo of Howard K2AQ

Howard K2AQ

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks all.
Photo of Bill Heinzinger

Bill Heinzinger

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The best thing I ever did...was let Neal
Neal Campbell

build my machine.
Fantastic support, and fantastic computer.

my suggestion....get as many big SSD drives as he can fit into it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.