MON function works with my 6500 under 2.0 and my Heil Headset. It does not

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Not a Problem
Version 2.0.17 in a 6500.  MON function works OK with my Heil Pro 7 and the basic radio/computer configuration.  I recently hooked up my iPad Pro to the system with SmartLink and added a Radio Sport RS55SL Headset to the iPad Pro.  I can transmit and receive OK with the new setup but the MON function doesn't work.  A friend of mine has a similar problem with his 6500 in the basic configuration and an unknown headset.  Is there something we haven't configured correctly?
Photo of Keith Pugh

Keith Pugh

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Marcus - DL8MRE

Marcus - DL8MRE

• 148 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Official Response
Keith, the MON function is a feature of the Radio, not the App. The Radio simply doesn't sent back any audio to any Client (SmartSDR for Windows or iOS) when using the MON button.

So I am wondering if you really can Monitor your Audio with your Heil Headset and the basic radio/computer configuration as you said.

That shouldn't work, not even on SmartSDR for Windows.

As far as I remember, there were some other posts here on the forum on how to perform Monitoring remotely with SmartSDR.

In the past I was wondering if this could be a feature request for a future release of the Radio Firmware but after thinking further, I don't think this would make much sense as this would mean that the received Audio Signal (from the remote Microphone - Headset in your case) would be mixed into the audio signal which is sent back to the Client (SmartSDR). This would mean that Audio is encoded (in the Client), decoded (on the Radio), encoded again (on the Radio) and finally decoded again (in the Client). The quality would suffer quite a bit and the latency would be doubled. Thus, I don't think that such a feature would make sense.

But maybe I am missing a point here.

Marcus, DL8MRE