Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

maestro battery charging time?

Answers

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think it's Polanfo - I just searched for it  ;-)
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    We have another interesting one I need to test when I get back from a trip. I'll report if it works well.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2016
    Yes, it is Polanfo Q5.
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited May 2016
    Darn, just my luck... Should have waited before buying the Mogix batteries... Think I'll wait until all this is figured out...
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Yes I second Howards recommendation, the Polanfo 12000 worked very well for me in Alpha testing and I am sure many more will be discovered with time.  The Mogix batteries should work ok as well so don't fret if you have purchased them.  These things are 10-15 bucks a piece so have a few if you are going long term untethered should be totally doable. 
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2016
    The Mogix I have been using runs just about 4 hours.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The Mogix batteries are good batteries. I have several of them that I use interchangeably . I can get about 5 hours of run time from them.
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited April 2019
    One last concern, How fragile is the wire and mini sub plug, Do you think it'll hold up to numerous change outs over a long period of time?
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2016
    The battery plug is a USB A.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I have been doing heavy battery swapping for some time now and have not managed to break mine yet..
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thanks Howard I understand.

The battery symbol doesn't deplete during discharge. Is it necessary to look at the LEDs on the battery to determine charge remaining?

• Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I'm going to use a Jackery Titan 21000 mah.http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Technology-Portable-Charger-Smartphones/dp/B015QGW4BU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...  It has been the best pack I have used  
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Is it necessary to look at the LEDs on the battery to determine charge remaining?

Yes, until you get to the point where Maestro detects low voltage condition and informs you to replace the battery. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    The battery symbol ONLY tells you that ur on battery not the amount of charge
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    Maestro spec
    - Max battery dimensions are 3.00" x 6.00" x 0.75"

(From amazon Size (LWH): 5.9 inches, 0.8 inches, 3.2 inches)

If their measurements were wrong it may fit. you will have to let us know.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Does this fit inside the Maestro battery compartment?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

As an FYI the Battery LEDs on many units are not linear - they may well show full charge during a lot of us, and then rapidly go down.

I was told this has to do with the technology and the design being optimized to a constant voltage being held as long as possible.  That may be only part of the reasons.

So unlike batteries which show a small voltage drop right from the start on a predictable gradual curve, LiPOs tend to appear 100% until far advanced in their discharge cycle. 

They are cheap enough, and offer a lot of power density in relatively light weight packages, that with the hot-swap Maestro feature it should be manageable.

So reminds me of the car I learned to drive in that showed a full tank of gas on the gage for hours of driving and then in moments would drop to less than an 1/8th tank when run five-ten miles more. 

Steve K9ZW

• Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Yes it does, I have just fitted one into my Maestro. I also like the numeric charge remaining indicator on the side of the battery although i'm not sure how accurate it is?
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Phil. I've already bought the Mogix from the US but good to know. I assume it is a self-starter (no button to push) as well. Good to know for the future and slightly higher capacity as well!
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm a little concerned about wear on the connector & Velcro over time but I'm more concerned about handling the Maestro so often with the associated risk of dropping it. I'm pondering another battery solution. http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-MP-10000-External-10000mAh-included/dp/B00935L44E?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A1F3RS3IOEG1Z2 This battery will fit in the Maestro compartment but is .1" too thick so I'm weighing the pros & cons of leaving the battery cover off of the Maestro. The advantage of this battery is that it charges from 12 Volts. I don't know if it will power the Maestro while it's being charged but if that works, frequent changes of batteries could be eliminated as I'd just plug it in during normal use instead of plugging in the Maestro. This battery is a bit pricey but then I'd only need one of them as it would almost always have a full charge except when in use away from an outlet. I have a much larger Anker battery that has similar features & it does power the Maestro while being charged. Any input or experience from others on these thoughts would be helpful & appreciated.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    It's only 10,000 mAh. Big battery for medium power. The smaller Polanfo is 12,000 mAh and fits the case.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Howard, but can the Polanfo be charged in the Maestro while powering it? This is more important to me than 2000 mAh., given the concerns I described.
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    NO. Scroll up. there is no charging while onboard. Tim explained it in this very thread.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve,

Tim was talking about the Maestro not providing a Micro-USB for charging the battery.

I could have been clearer but I was talking about plugging a charger directly into the battery while it's powering the Maestro. I've tried it with a Mogix but plugging a charger into the Mogix turns the 5V output off.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2016
    The battery is destined to protect itself by not allowing charge and discharge to happen at the same time. We found a battery that says it allows both but have not had much time to test.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Gerald, Ahead of the curve again. With that tease, I'll not buy anything in haste. Hopefully you will be able to offer some ideas when I see you in Dayton.
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    understood now. TBH with the fact that it has an onboard battery for swaps and the fact that we are dealing with rather inexpensive battery packs I would be much happier charging with it out of the maestro. The thing to look for would be a pack that states that it has "pass thru" ability which means that it passes the input current to the output and charges the battery with what's left over. The issue in my mind being that the maestro is going to be using most of the current that the wall supply can put out and charge rates to the battery itself would be quite low.

Gerald,
      I am sure it varies widely but what kind of current draw range off of the 5v pack are we looking at?

Sidenote- Just saw that a 6/29 order got his invoice and I ordered 7/3, The anticipation is killing me.
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I used velcro to mount it to the back of the battery compartment and found a flat USB extension cable to bring the connector to the outside
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    RR, I think I will go the way of a smaller pack that will fit internally as I don't see myself sitting outside of the shack for more than the 4 to 6 hours operating that the smaller packs get. If I'm on the road ill just bring the plug pack.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lawrence, That may be the ticket, at least temporarily, using my 20,000 mAh Anker battery. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.