Is it possible to listen to 4 2 meter frequencies AND 4 70cm frequencies simultaneously with a 6700?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I think I read somewhere, that at most 4 receiver slices can be used with a transverter or a 2 meter LNA hooked up to the Xvtr connection.  I was wondering, if you placed something like Down East Microwave's 2 meter LNA on the Xvtr connection and monitored 4 separate frequencies, could you also use a DEMI 70cm transverter which uses a 28 MHz IF connected to, say Antenna B, and monitor another four 70cm frequencies simultaneously?

I realize that transmitting thru the transverter with it connected to Antenna B instead of Xvtr introduces the problem of attenuating the transmission power sufficiently, so as not to blow the transverter's transmit input, but purely as a means of receiving these 8 separate frequencies, is it possible or have I forgotten some important aspect of the 6700 that makes the idea unworkable? Perhaps switching the transverter's IF to one of the 6700's receive antenna inputs would ensure that the transverter will never be overloaded by full power transmissions by accident?

If this is possible, DEMI offers the option of transmission attenuation so that it can handle anything up to a 10 watt transmission.  Wouldn't this mean that you can select any of the 2 meter or 20cm frequencies and transmit without a worry of blowing out the 70cm transverter (as long as the power was below 10%)?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Roy, AC2GS
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 439 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, Employee

• 1019 Posts
  • 984 Reply Likes
Official Response
On a FLEX-6700 you can place 4 receivers in the 2 meter band and 4 receivers in the 10m band. This would allow you to do what you are asking about.  Each band can be on a different antenna.